The Nanoscale World

Lateral force sensitivity

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 72
qianhuang posted on Wed, Nov 28 2012 1:37 PM

Hello,

I am trying to bend a nanowire using AFM tip to investigate its young's modulus. I find one paper said they fixed nanowire on one end and bend it on the other end using AFM tip. They measure the lateral force-distance curve. Now I know how to calibrate a normal force sensitivity, but I don't know how to calibrate a lateral force sensitivity. 

I am very appreciated if some one could give me some suggestions.

Thank you!

Qian

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652
Suggested by Ben Ohler

This paper is a good review of the options for both lateral deflection sensitivity and lateral spring constant:

Torbjörn Pettersson, Niklas Nordgren, Mark W. Rutland, and Adam Feiler. "Comparison of different methods to calibrate torsional spring constant andphotodetector for atomic force microscopy friction measurements in air and liquid." Rev. Sci. Instrum. 78, 093702 (2007); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.2779215

-Ben

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 10

Hi,

I am very new to SPM techniques..I am trying to image some vertically aligned nanowires. Could you advice me which mode will be most suitable..I have attempted AC -non contact mode for imaging..but unfortunately the image don`t show any characteristics of what i got through SEM image 

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments