The Nanoscale World

What happens between trace and retrace?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
19 Posts
Points 215
Luis posted on Tue, Nov 12 2013 8:00 AM

Hi!, a workmate told me that the tip lifts up and then goes down between each trace and retrace. Is that true?

I thought that it just went back an foward in a v shape path. Knowing this might help us understand some images with strange borders.

Thanks in advance!

• | Post Points: 14

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee
Verified by Luis

Normally the tip follows the v shaped path that you describe, but there is a mode called 'lift mode' that is commonly used in MFM and EFM.  In lift mode, the tip is lifted for every other pair of trace and retrace.

--Bede

• | Post Points: 11

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee
Verified by Luis

Normally the tip follows the v shaped path that you describe, but there is a mode called 'lift mode' that is commonly used in MFM and EFM.  In lift mode, the tip is lifted for every other pair of trace and retrace.

--Bede

• | Post Points: 11
Top 150 Contributor
8 Posts
Points 88
Eric replied on Mon, Apr 13 2015 12:19 PM

Hi Luis,

I know it's been quite a while since you posted this question, but did you ever figure out why you are getting images with "strange borders".  We might be having the same issue.  Our issue is that only on ONE side the image is blurred and the trace/retrace overlap is really poor (seems offset).  Does anyone have an idea about what could cause this?  Thanks.

-Eric

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments