The Nanoscale World

Stripes on Surface Potential.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 14
Aaron posted on Thu, Sep 2 2010 11:00 AM

I'm a user for Dimension 3100 and we have surface potential set up. A strange problem occurred to me and I'm posting it here for help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Recently when I scan on my sample with SSPM, there are always the same kind of stripes on the potential image but not on topography. The weird part is, if you offset or rotate the sample with software during scanning, the stripe moves and rotates too. However if you offset or rotate the sample physically with the sample stage and then get back to scanning, the stripe looks the same.  If I zoom in on the stripe, it'll be gone.

The scan size is 60-70 um. scanning rate is 0.5 Hz with 512 lines. I hereby attached several images.

Scanning size: 70 um

Scanning size: 60 um

Scanning size 60 um

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 115
Suggested by stsolong

Aaron:

I don't know what sample you are attempting to do this on, but it seems as though it is an artifact of the imagining.  I would attempt a scan at much lower tip velocities than you are using.  Frankly, I wouldn't trust much data collected at a tip velocity of 70um/s.  If its not possible to decrease the scanning area, you can at least achieve 14um/s, which would be more reasonable.  If the stripes show up during that scan, it would make the artifact more credible.

Nabil

• | Post Points: 10
replied on Tue, Sep 7 2010 12:44 PM

Hi Aaron,

It would be helpful to know the z-scale of the feature that you are observing.

Stefan

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments