Imaging Type I Collagen in Fluid Using ScanAsyst

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 26
Joseph Wallace posted on Fri, Dec 17 2010 1:50 PM

Hi

I have recently been trying to image Type I Collagen isolated from the tail tendon of mice.  Using a variety of probes, I am able to get very nice images when the collagen is adsorbed to glass or mica, allowed to briefly dry and imaged in air.  I was able to image the exact same location in both air and fluid and as soon as liquid is introduced, the definable features on the collagen fibrils vanish.  Has anyone tried imaging collagen in fluid and, if so, do you have any advice on either how to process the samples without having to dry at all, or on how to image in fluid and get good results?

Thanks so much

Joseph Wallace

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 129

Hi, Joseph

Depositing collagen on mica and glass through aspiration and then imaging them in air or in fluid after rehydration in buffer is  very common and useful AFM sample preparation for imaging fibrous proteins.  However, for  people who are interesting in the kinetic of fiber growth, this method would not be so useful.   Muller group was able to study collagen fibril growth in fluid without dehydration.  Here is the reference: 

Observing growth steps of collagen self-assembly by time-lapse high-resolution atomic force microscopy

David A. Cisneros, Carlos Hung, Clemens M. Franz and Daniel J. MullerCorresponding Author Contact Information, E-mail The Corresponding Author

Biotechnology Center, University of Technology Dresden, 01307 Dresden, Germany

Received 19 October 2005; 
revised 1 February 2006; 
accepted 2 February 2006. 
Available online 20 March 2006.

Abstract

Insights into molecular mechanisms of collagen assembly are important for understanding countless biological processes and at the same time a prerequisite for many biotechnological and medical applications. In this work, the self-assembly of collagen type I molecules into fibrils could be directly observed using time-lapse atomic force microscopy (AFM). The smallest isolated fibrillar structures initiating fibril growth showed a thickness of ≈1.5 nm corresponding to that of a single collagen molecule. Fibrils assembled in vitro established an axial D-periodicity of ≈67 nm such as typically observed for in vivo assembled collagen fibrils from tendon. At given collagen concentrations of the buffer solution the fibrils showed constant lateral and longitudinal growth rates. Single fibrils continuously grew and fused with each other until the supporting surface was completely covered by a nanoscopically well-defined collagen matrix. Their thickness of ≈3 nm suggests that the fibrils were build from laterally assembled collagen microfibrils. Laterally the fibrils grew in steps of ≈4 nm, indicating microfibril formation and incorporation. Thus, we suggest collagen fibrils assembling in a two-step process. In a first step, collagen molecules assemble with each other. In the second step, these molecules then rearrange into microfibrils which form the building blocks of collagen fibrils. High-resolution AFM topographs revealed substructural details of the D-band architecture of the fibrils forming the collagen matrix. These substructures correlated well with those revealed from positively stained collagen fibers imaged by transmission electron microscopy.

------------------------------------

Hope this would help

Best,

James 

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments