rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36
Junjun LI posted on Sat, Dec 4 2010 10:26 AM

Hello,

I was wondering whether somebody have meet similar problem:

when I was using the AFM(CALIBER veeco), the feet (Z-axis) does not rotate when I kicked the UP or Down button on the software interface, however, the Z-motor does move and sound can be heard. And if turned over the header, the feet can rotate but may be stuck at some point. 

Does anybody know how does the Z-motor works in the CALIBER header? 

Thanks for any input!

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Answered (Verified) replied on Mon, Dec 6 2010 12:41 PM
Verified by Junjun LI

Hi Junjun,

Your z-motor paddle disengaged from the lead screw. This can easily be fixed in less than 5 minutes. The attached document describes how to remove the baseplate of the Caliber AFM to access the lead screw. Remove the baseplate as indicated and then simply turn the leadscrew a few turns back in. Re-attach the baseplate and your should be up and running.

Good luck

Stefan

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Answered (Verified) replied on Mon, Dec 6 2010 12:41 PM
Verified by Junjun LI

Hi Junjun,

Your z-motor paddle disengaged from the lead screw. This can easily be fixed in less than 5 minutes. The attached document describes how to remove the baseplate of the Caliber AFM to access the lead screw. Remove the baseplate as indicated and then simply turn the leadscrew a few turns back in. Re-attach the baseplate and your should be up and running.

Good luck

Stefan

• | Post Points: 13
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36

hi, Stefan

Thank you for your answer!

Here is my action and result:

The problem of my screw is caused by retracting the Z head too much( Z+ ), after I re-align and restore, I find that the screw can rotate, but it will be stuck in some angle, the gear box seems like broken. Maybe the manual need to be updated about the limit Z Value and the possibility of gear box damage.

replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 11:19 AM

Hi Junjun,

I doubt that the "gear box" is broken. You probably just pushed the motor in too far down.

Stefan

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36

hi, Stefan

The gear(the metal pipe connects the motor and the screw) feels quite loosen now, is that a sign of broken?

replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 6:01 PM

Hi Junjun,

When you pull the motor out and move it up and down using the software keys and the spindle/paddle turns, it is not broken. If the paddle does not turn, something might be wrong. Do not turn the paddle by hand.

Again, your original problem was simply a disengaged paddle from the lead screw. This in itself will not break anything in the system. If you have further problems with it I strongly suggest contacting Bruker customer support.

Stefan

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments