The Nanoscale World

How to interpret a force-distance plot?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 24
Patugia posted on Fri, Mar 11 2011 3:18 AM

Hi! I acquired force vs distance plot. Now I have some difficulty to interpret the graphs: is it right to plot force vs separation or is it better to plot force vs Z? What kind of informations I can deduct from the plots? Do you have some manual, paper or other to advice me? Thanks in advance!

Patugia

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 341

Hi Patugia,

Actually, it depends of what you want to study and what you are measuring (nature of the probe and the surface). Generally and under specific conditions, you can measure nanomechanical properties of the substrate but also adhesion force, rupture length in case of polymeric/biological molecules..

Can we see this force curve ?

For paper, there are a lot of review in each filed, use the keyword 'force spectroscopy' in your field of research and you will certainly see some reviews.

Guillaume 

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 341

Hi Patugia,

Actually, it depends of what you want to study and what you are measuring (nature of the probe and the surface). Generally and under specific conditions, you can measure nanomechanical properties of the substrate but also adhesion force, rupture length in case of polymeric/biological molecules..

Can we see this force curve ?

For paper, there are a lot of review in each filed, use the keyword 'force spectroscopy' in your field of research and you will certainly see some reviews.

Guillaume 

• | Post Points: 13
Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 24

Hi Guillaume,

thanks for your answer. I'm interested  to the adhesion between the substrate and a material with a variable thickness deposited on it. I acquired force vs separation plots changing position on the sample. Can you give me your email address to send you the force curve?

Patrizia

• | Post Points: 12
Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 341

guillaume.andre[at]uclouvain.be

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments