The Nanoscale World

z-piezo drift when imaging

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 48
Benoit posted on Wed, Jun 29 2011 12:56 PM

Hi!

I came accross two rather strange phenomenum today when I tried to image one of my sample using the MultiMode V AFM, using the J-scanner and the Nanoscope V controller (contact mode).

First, when the probe is scanning the surface, it seems that the z-piezo constantly extends, until eventually reaching the Z-limit (set to the maximum value of 4.7um). When  this happens, it is necessary to re-engage the probe in order to keep scanning. I am wondering if anyone saw this effect, and how to overcome it. Please note that there is no drift on the vertical offset value, since the vertical offset remains the same after my probe is disengaged.

Secondly, it seems that my image gets stretched in the Y direction when scanning the image from the top of the frame to the bottom of the frame. This effect does not happen when imaging from the bottom frame to the top frame. I noticed that this phenomena is common when changing the X and Y offsets, but normally disappears after a minute or two. In my case, this effect is always present when scanning, even after the x and y-piezo have stabilized.

Is there a problem with my setup which is what I suspect?

Benoit

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
60 Posts
Points 651

Hi Benoit,

I think you should give some more information. 

• Are you measuring in air or liquid?
  • What is your sample?
  • Are you sure your sample is well fixed and is not getting of the support
  • If it is in liquid, can the sample ( e.g. polymer) swell due to the liquid?
  • Is the liquid at room temperature  ( summer/airco)
  • Have you tried to decrease the contact force (lowering the setpoint) or give a estimation how hard you are pushing. 
  • and for me, is the J-scanner a closed-loop scanner and is it on?

Best regards,

Joop

• | Post Points: 12
Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 48

Dear Joop,

Thank you for your reply.Here is more informations:

I am imaging in air, using the normal cell holder. The sample I am imaging consists of Aluminium oxide thin films. The room is temperature controlled at 21 degrees celcius. Concerning the J scanner, I don't think it is not a closed-loop scanner.

When imaging, my deflection setpoint is 0.2V (the vertical offset is set to 0 when the probe loses contact with the sample. The probe I am using is relatively soft (0.1N/m), and my deflection sensitivity is roughly 60mV/nm. The problem occurs whether the contact force is set low or high, although it seems worse when the deflection setpoint is high (high contact force).

Best regards,

Benoit.

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
60 Posts
Points 651

Hello Benoit,

The settings are good then. It is in air so all the other remarks are useless Big Smile Try measuring a calibration grid to see if the stretching is also there. If that is the case recalibrate, if its then still there I suspect something wrong with the piezo.... Sad

Best Regards,

Joop

• | Post Points: 10
Answered (Not Verified) replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 9:24 AM

Hi Benoit,

Regarding your first point, I already experimented similar problem with a MM coupled to a NIII controller many years ago, never with a NV controller.

Regarding your second point, I agree with the suggestion: a calibration grid is the best test. The piezo might be damaged. You are right: when you change the x,y offset or the scan range, you can observe a few drift oevr a few scan lines but not more.

Good luck,

Alex.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments