The Nanoscale World

The right probe for measurement of the elastic modulus of a polymer nanoparticle

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36
Blizzat posted on Tue, Sep 6 2011 11:36 AM

I am looking for a probe that will work as a nano-indenter.  The material I will be using is a soft polymer Polyethylene glycol diacrylate and I will be investigating particles at and below 100 nm.  I think that basically the tip has to be very hard and the cantilever not very stiff.  Does anyone one possible tips for this application?

Thanks

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Answered (Not Verified) replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 4:04 PM

Hi Blizzat,

The following applications note: http://www.bruker-axs.com/uploads/tx_linkselectorforpdfpool/Quantitative_Mechanical_Property_Mapping_at_the_Nanoscale_with_PeakForce-QNM_AFM_AN128.pdf

list a table with suggested probes depending on the expected modulus of your sample. All probes are available from Bruker.

Best,

Stefan

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36

Stefan,

Thank you so much for the reply.  Unfortunately I believe that the literature you sent only summarizes the methods of obtaining the desired properties (which was helpful).  However the specific probes are only mentioned, never tabulated.  Do you have that information handy?

Thanks

Pat

replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 3:18 PM

Pat,

Did you check out figure #3 on page #4? Its shows a variety of probes and the modulus range they can cover.

Best,

Stefan

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36

Oh look at that.  My apologies. 

replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 4:22 PM

No worries. Good luck with the experiments.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments