AFM on biological samples

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
Points 148
Fenny posted on Fri, Sep 30 2011 3:12 AM

I have got a couple of questions about AFM on biological samples:

1.      How to target of locate different samples at nano-scale?

When imaging or measuring different samples like cells, sometimes it is important to locate the same samples again and again. I wonder how to work it out with a number of targeted samples although it is easy to locate one or two of them.

2.      What is the function of mica sample dish? Can they help to locate different samples at nano-scale?

3.      Do the calibration samples like PDMS-SOFT-2 also work for Bioscope II, although they are demonstrated to work for PFQNM?

4.      Does the tip need special cleaning after working on biological samples especially when going through drug treatment?

Can anyone help me in these matters? Thank you very much indeed.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
129 Posts
Points 1,429
Ang Li replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 9:18 AM

Hi, Fenny,

Let me try to answer some of your questions:

1. On Catalyst, you have motorized stage, that means you can record xyz positions and move to particular positions accurately. So under Navigate, you will find the function to move automatically to absolute or relative xy position or you can just simply monitor the xyz values at the right bottom part of the software window and relocate to your cells again and again.

2. mica sample usually is for atomic resolution calibration or used as substrate for many samples including biological samples. In order to locate samples, you would need indexed sustrate or reference if you wanna transfer the sample between different places, before I tried indexed TEM grids you can find from SPI supplies, they work pretty nicely for me to find and relocate my blood cells. I can send you some info of the grid I used if you need.

3. They are calibration samples for modulus measurement, so no problem you can use on Bioscope II, you can just test normal force curves or force mapping on the sample instead of QNM.

4. Usually I cleaned the tips in Ethanol and DI water and plasma if I wanna reuse after bio experiments, but it really depends on the tolerant quality level and extent of contamination, I would try new tips for each experiment rather than reuse old ones again and again.

Hope you find some useful information here and you are welcome to write to me directly or post more questions here.

LA

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments