problem scanning in z-direction

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 24
linda posted on Fri, Sep 30 2011 2:49 AM

Dear All,

I am using an old nanoscope III contact mode AFM. Last time the AFM worked perfectly, but this morning the following problem occurred: when I wanted to make contact, the software immediately said that the tip was in contact while it was not. I also noticed that the scanner is not moving in z-direction, only in x-y direction. I went to force mode to see whether the z-direction of the scanner worked. But is seemed not to work. How can I test whether it is a scanner problem or a hardware (z-board) problem. I expect it is the latter since my guess is that a scanner problem would never result in false contact immediately after engaging.

Does anyone have an idea which resistances I should measure between the different pins of the piezo connector to definitively rule out piezo problems. Are there tests to check the z-board? If it seems a z-board problem, where can I still find replacement parts? Anyone knows a company which sells used and/or refurbished nanoscope parts? Finding separate parts seems quite hard.

best regards,

Linda.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
129 Posts
Points 1,429
Ang Li replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 8:55 AM

Hi, Linda,

Before go into hardware diagnosis, have you tried different contact setpoint, especially trying to engage at higher force? Sometimes false engage would give you the same problem as you described, simply increase setpoint or allign laser at lower vertical deflection value may resolve the problem. Besides, are you using Multimode or Dimension?

LA

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 24
linda replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 9:50 AM

Hi La,

Yep, I did. It is no false engage in that sense. It is independent of the deflection setpoint value and the vertical deflection of the laser. I am using a contact mode AFM (almost the same base as the multimode afm, but no tapping mode facility. It is a realy old model).

I am sure it is a hardware problem, but I should find out how to check where the problem exactly is. We had problems with hardware before. The xy-board broke down some year ago and I am afraid that the z-board failed now. I only want to make sure that it is not a hardware problem in the microscope base itself before buying spare parts for the controller or a new controller.

best regards,

Linda.

replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 1:46 PM

Hi Linda,

I think you likely have a HW problem . Please contact your closest service center, you can find the contact info here: http://www.bruker-axs.com/nano_surfaces_support.html 

Stefan

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments