The Nanoscale World

How to clean a microsphere mounted on a cantilever?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 30
SamRosenthal posted on Mon, Sep 5 2011 1:03 PM

Hi All,

I have an ~50um microsphere mounted onto a silicon cantilever with Double Bubble 5 minute epoxy.  The sphere has a metal layer about 50-100nm thick.  Whenever I run an experiment with this sphere, about half way through it gets some sort of contaminant on it that changes the force properties I'm trying to observe. 

To attempt to clean the thing, I've put the tip into a UV cleaner with limited success.

My system is a VT-102.  But any suggestions would be great.  The microsphere is dipped into water mainly.

• | Post Points: 18

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
18 Posts
Points 205
JFP replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 2:22 AM

Hallo Sam,

this article could help you: Cleaning AFM colloidal probes by mechanically scrubbing with supersharp “brushes”

Best regards

Jonas

• | Post Points: 10
Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 273
Janne replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:50 AM

Immersing into SDS might help.

replied on Thu, Oct 6 2011 9:09 AM

Hi,

The way you have to rinse it strongly depends on the type of contamination you get. If it's cellular debris or anything containing lipids, I agree that SDS or any detergent having a high CMC will help a lot. For other types of contamination, you will need an organic solvant.

Another idea: do you haev any option to perfuse the sample while you are imaging? This would drag the contaminants away in real time.

Good luck,

Alex.

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 397
Bruker Employee

Hi Sam,

UV-ozone or plasma cleaning is more powerful for removing contaminants than just a UV lamp cleaner. 

Also, while I don't have any experience with metal-coated spheres, it is often recommended that you clean colloidal probes using either of these methods before using them. This helps to remove existing contaminants from the sphere that may contribute to non-specific intereactions between the probe and sample. Removing these contaminants prior to using the probe may also help decrease the chance of further contamination during your experiment.

Good luck!

Best,

Andrea

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments