The Nanoscale World

Force Volume and Point and shot F Curves in Tapping mode problem

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 52
Josep Relat posted on Tue, Jan 31 2012 10:32 AM

I am using a Dimension Icon. Currently, I am doing images in tapping mode and then I try to change to F curves or Force Volume mode. For that purpose, I found that I had to change the feedback to contact to make force curves without having the tip vibrating. However, I sometimes find that the z displacement is turned to zero automatically and I can't make any curve at all unless I go back to contact mode and try it again. Do you know why is this happening? Is there any other way to make this without having to change the feedback mode everytime?

Thank you,

Josep

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

This may be happening if you are using soft tapping and the system is not able to find the surface again after fully retracting (which it does when it switches the closed loop Z). 

I would suggest decreasing teh tapping setpoint after entering ramp mode, but before you start ramping, or you could try turining closed loop Z off -- you can still use the Z sensor to plot your data if you choose it as one of the channels to be collected.

--Bede

Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 341
Bruker Employee

Hi Josep,

Can you describe the series of steps that you are using to go between TappingMode imaging to contact mode force curves?  Are you going into Ramp and changing the Trigger to TMDeflection?  Are you withdrawing and switching the feedback to contact mode and re-engaging?  Can you provide some more details of how you are setting the parameters?  As Bede mentioned, the workspace could also make a difference depending on what you would like to do.  The Nanoindentation workspace is designed to image in TappingMode and collect force curves based on deflection.  Do you have access to this?  If so, this workspace can be found under Mechanical Properties in the Select Experiment window.

Thanks,
John

john.thornton@bruker-nano.com

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments