The Nanoscale World

AFM catalyst on live cells

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
Points 148
Fenny posted on Fri, Mar 9 2012 7:53 AM

Hello, I’ve got several questions concerning AFM catalyst on live cells. Can anyone help me with the following?

1.      As we may need to order some probes on demand, what is the typical shape of probes for live cell mechanical measurement, cone or pyramidal? And how shall we set the angle and frequency of probes?

2.      How can I export the force and indentation data from the force curve, so that I can fit with various models for calculating modulus? This is critical otherwise I cannot use any models to fit.

3.      What shall I input as the angle in Sneddon model, the front angle or the side angle?

4.   How can I enable the option of ramp and capture in point and shoot page of QNM mode? Right now this option appears invalid in this mode, and the ramping curves cannot be saved even after the image capture. By the way, is there any way of saving force curves without imaging the sample?

Thank you very much.

• | Post Points: 17

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
129 Posts
Points 1,429
Ang Li replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 10:59 PM

Hi, Fenny,

Your question 1 and 3 are related, if you prefer using Sneddon model, you need to choose cone shaped probes as it assumes so and there won't be front or side angle, but just a cone angle. On cells, we prefer blunt tips instead of sharp tips so you may want to have larger angle probes and in that sense, pyramidal shaped tips are better than cone shaped tips. But in another sense, cone shaped tips can be longer than pyramidal shaped tips and in some cases, you will need longer tips if your cells are high. So you need to find the best choice depending on your application.

For exporting force curves in QNM, you can use HSDC function and I can send you the protocol for it as well as point and shoot. On Catalyst I guess MIRO will be the right option for you to capture force curves using optical image as the guide without imaging the cells.

LA

• | Post Points: 13
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments