DNA and mica prep for AFM

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 56
MorganS posted on Wed, Jun 30 2010 12:15 PM

Hi,

I'm new to AFM and will be starting a research project visualizing protein–DNA interactions. I've been comparing different methods of preparing DNA and a freshly cleaved mica surface for AFM imaging (in solution using tapping mode), and it seems the most commonly used procedure involves treating the mica with NiCl2 and preparing the DNA in a MgCl2 buffer. Does anyone have a preferred protocol or methods paper that I could use to help get started? I've checked out the articles on the Veeco website already, and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Morgan

• | Post Points: 14

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 397
Bruker Employee
Verified by Stephen Minne

Hi Morgan~

Yes, the most common method of immobilizing DNA on mica is to use divalent cations, like NiCl2 and MgCl2, to passivate the negative charge on the mica and thus allow adsorption of the negatively charged DNA.  Other groups use what we call "AP-mica" which is mica that has been silanized with an amino-terminated silane to give the mica a positive charge. I have uploaded 2 documents that have detailed procedures for preparing both types of DNA samples.

DNA Sample Preparation_102809.pdf

AP-MICA Preparation.pdf

Good luck with your experiments!

Andrea

• | Post Points: 15

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 397
Bruker Employee
Verified by Stephen Minne

Hi Morgan~

Yes, the most common method of immobilizing DNA on mica is to use divalent cations, like NiCl2 and MgCl2, to passivate the negative charge on the mica and thus allow adsorption of the negatively charged DNA.  Other groups use what we call "AP-mica" which is mica that has been silanized with an amino-terminated silane to give the mica a positive charge. I have uploaded 2 documents that have detailed procedures for preparing both types of DNA samples.

DNA Sample Preparation_102809.pdf

AP-MICA Preparation.pdf

Good luck with your experiments!

Andrea

• | Post Points: 15
Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 319

Hi Morgan,

As Andrea said, you can use either the divalent cations or the APTES-modification methods. Regarding what you originally said, I think kit's best to use EITHER Nickel OR Magnesium, not both, if that's what you meant. I do not know if using both will cause some competition problems, but it is simpler to stick with one or the other. Like Andrea's method, I tend to find Nickel more effective than Magnesium. Note that there is a section on sample prep. for AFM, including a bit about sticking down oligonucletodes and proteins, including the original references to both these two techniques in my book, which you can read about here: OUP.com.

Good luck!

Pete.

• | Post Points: 12
Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 56

Thank you for your help! I'll try using the Nickel.

Thanks again,

Morgan

• | Post Points: 10
Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 56

These were very helpful. Thank you.  I'll let you know what ends up working best.

Thanks,

Morgan

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 56

Hi again,

We are going to be using Silicon Nitride probe tips to image DNA in a buffered solution. I was wondering which tip you have found works best for this?

Thanks,

Morgan

replied on Mon, Jul 26 2010 5:59 PM

Morgan,

The SNL levers work great. The c-lever is the one you want to use for TappingMode operation. http://www.veecoprobes.com/p-3693-snl-10.aspx

Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 56

Thank you very much. This is very helpful!

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 10

Hi Andrea,

I am an undergraduate doing research on DNA imaging using an AFM. I would like to ask your permission to use your DNA sample preparation procedure. Also, I am wondering the type of probe used?

Thank you

Jenna

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments