The Nanoscale World

Crop results in different height scale

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
15 Posts
Points 176
tibs posted on Thu, Aug 2 2012 11:04 AM

Sometimes when I crop a scan I find that the new cropped version has a different height scale.

Specifically, I am looking at step heights and sometimes the scan will include junk that I want to crop out, but when I do so the step height can change significantly.

After cropping I have seen step height decreases (e.g. 60 to 40 nm) and increases (e.g. 80 to 110 nm).

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

Using NanoScope Analysis 1.40 (Build R2Sr1 8341)

• | Post Points: 16

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652
Verified by Ben Ohler

Thanks for reporting this bug. We've investigated it and found the problem. We'll be releasing a new version with the fix soon.

Until then, there's a simple workaround. After you flatten the image, be sure to save it before using crop and split. You can either save over the original file or save under a new filename. Then reload the saved image and proceed normally with crop and split. This ensures that the file header information gets updated correctly with the modifications made by flatten.

Regards,

-Ben

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:23 PM

Hi tibs,

Can you please post an example, i.e. a cross section of your step before and after cropping.

Thanks,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

Can we get a copy of the original, raw Nanoscope file where this problem occurs?

Thanks!,

--Bede

Top 75 Contributor
15 Posts
Points 176
tibs replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 6:36 PM

Below are two examples.

Thanks!

Original 1:

Crop 1:

Original 2:

Crop 2:

• | Post Points: 10
Top 75 Contributor
15 Posts
Points 176
tibs replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 6:45 PM

I tried to upload the scan files to my user file location on this website, but it wouldn't let me upload a file with that extension type. Is there another way to upload it?

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee

please send it to me at first name dot last name at bruker dash nano dot com.

Thanks,

Bede

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652
Verified by Ben Ohler

Thanks for reporting this bug. We've investigated it and found the problem. We'll be releasing a new version with the fix soon.

Until then, there's a simple workaround. After you flatten the image, be sure to save it before using crop and split. You can either save over the original file or save under a new filename. Then reload the saved image and proceed normally with crop and split. This ensures that the file header information gets updated correctly with the modifications made by flatten.

Regards,

-Ben

• | Post Points: 13
Top 75 Contributor
15 Posts
Points 176
tibs replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 2:02 PM

Thanks a lot for looking into this issue and providing a solution.

Much appreciated!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments