The Nanoscale World

NanoScope IIIa controller PC problem

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 32
Romeyn posted on Tue, Feb 26 2013 8:14 AM

Late last Fall the PC controlling our AFM stopped booting.  NT would start to load, then "glitch" (no error) and then the computer would simply reset, POST, attempt to boot, and repeat.  I replaced the RAM, disconnected all peripherals (including the AFM controller card (ISA)) with no luck.  My next step was to clone the hard drive to another disk.  No errors were detected.  I assumed that the OS had become corrupt somehow.  (Which would have been strange, as this is a turnkey system and not on our network.)

I eventually ended up in communication with Pat in technical support and we determined that some CDs I found in the room with the device were the image restore CDs.  Pat sent me instructions for applying them, but they don't work.  EZRESTORE errors out when used as instructed.  I have tried several other methods of "inflicting" this .img file onto a hard drive with no success.  My latest attempt was the closest.  I executed 'pqer /?' and then initiated the image restore with every "ignore error" flag I could discern from the help menu.  That seemed to deploy the image--took about 15 minutes--but failed to properly set up the partition table.  So next I burned an NT 4 workstation install CD thinking I could boot from THAT and tell the installer to repair the installation on the hard drive.

But the NT4WS boot CD does the same thing the OS did!  As soon as it gets to the blue screen where it displays how much RAM is in the system, it "glitches", pauses, and then the system rests, POSTs, and the cycle begins again.  The only peripherals I have attached at this point are the keyboard, mouse, monitor, hard drive, and CD-ROM drive.  The ISA controller card is removed.  

I'm stuck.  I either need a way to fix this PC, or an option to upgrade it to something newer.

Help?

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
12 Posts
Points 139
Peter replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:13 AM

This is just a wild guess, but are you sure your BIOS or motherboard is not damaged?

• | Post Points: 12
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 32
Romeyn replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 10:11 AM

No, no I'm not.  Sad

Before I send this unit aaa to someone who knows way more about it, I'm taking a couple of last stabs.  I have removed the video card and put in a PCI card for testing.  I am also trying once more to restore the image from CD to a hard drive.  I have come to realize that the EZRESTORE software isn't particularly "EZ" and assumes that the hard drive in question has been properly partitioned and formatted.  My FDISK skills are getting quite the dust-off!

Can anyone here tell me what partition scheme EZRESTORE expects?

• | Post Points: 10
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 32
Romeyn replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 10:30 AM

When I run the EZRETORE program ('PQER...') it ends with: "Error #982: Free space is not big enough to hold partition information."

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments