DMT Modulus Calibration

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 74
Sheila Gonzalez posted on Tue, Jul 13 2010 5:21 AM

Good morning,

I am trying to measure the DMT modulus of some calibration samples. We have a Peak Force / Microcope Multimode 8.

We have started with the Relative method for calibrate the mechanical properties. He have used Scanasyst Air probes (PDMS - 1 sample reference) and TAP525A probe (PS Film sample). After calibrating the sample sensitivity and setting the spring constant (thermal tune with scansyst and the box value for the TAP probe), we tried to achieve a 2nm deformation changing the Peak Force Setpoint. In this point we can not achieve the deformation (the modulus figure dissapear) and sometimes the deformation has a negative value. Also we have tried to scan 0nm, 500nm and 2um and we find significative differences in the sample (is new and the Tip was imagne by SEM and seems OK).

I have also tried  to use the Absolute Method, but I do not know what the sample reference mentioned is. Could you please indicate what is the sample reference I have to use to do the Tip calibration?

To sum up, could you please indicate how to solve some of thes problems and obtain the modulus?

Thank you for your help,

Kind regards

Sheila Gonález

• | Post Points: 13

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 150 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 74

Dear Mike,

Thank you very muc. With your help and the Engineer who helped me from Veeco I was able to understand the procedure and now I am doing the mechanical properties measurementes by myself whit the absolute method for calibration.

Sheila

• | Post Points: 11

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340

Hi Sheila,

There are several issues mentioned in your email.  In order assist you better I would like to log on to your spm computer and control the microscope while we talk over the phone.  Please contact me offline with your phone number so we can set something up.

Regards, Mike Maybrun

mmaybrun@veeco.com

• | Post Points: 12
Top 150 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 74

Dear Mr. Maybrun,

Thank you for your offer. I am afraid I have not network avaliable in our system . Some technicians from Veeco are coming in a few weeks, but I would like to make some experiments before they arrived. Could you least indicate me some brief guidelines in order to obtain these properties? Thank you.

Sheila

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340
Suggested by Mike Maybrun

Sheila,

For the PDMS-1 the modulus value is around 2.5 MPa.  The DMT model requires, amoung other criteria, a sufficient amount of both indentation and probe deflection.  The TAP 525 is much to stiff to use with a 2.5 MPa sample.   It will deform the sample too much without deflecting the probe.  Use the ScanAsyst Air probe for measurements on PDMS-1. 

You have probably read that in most cases you should look to the deformation channel and adjust the setpoint until you have at least 2 nm of deformation.  While this tends to be true for samples with higher modulus (like the PS FILM) and stiffer cantilevers (like Tap 525) it is not a good technique for the ScanAsyst Air probe on PDMS-1 (or any sample < ~20 MPa).  The key is understanding that deformation is a value calculated in real time by NanoScope while indentation (the more important criteria) can only be calculated at this time by manual examination of deflection (force) vs. separation plots off line. 

It turns out that for samples with higher modulus and stiffer probes the deformation calculation is a pretty good approximation of indentation. 

For samples like PDMS-1 where there is a lot of adhesion the difference between calculated deformation data and indentation becomes significant (the deformation is substantially lower than indentation).

The following plots were obtained from raw deflection data captured with "High Speed Data Capture."  Individual force curves were exported and displayed as PeakF Deflection vs. Separation to highlight the way deformation is calculated vs. the indentation.

NanoScope calculates "deformation" in real time as around 85% of the separation from zero deflection to the peak force on the load curve:

This would represent 1 pixel value in the real-time deformation map shown below.  Note the average value of the deformation data in the data channel is around 3 nm.

The next plot shows what the real indentation is at the same pixel.  Indentation is measured as the separation from the minimum force to the peak force on the load curve:

In case it's not clear yet the next plot shows the difference at one pixel location between what would be displayed by NanoScope in the real-time deformation map and the actual indentation at that same location.

Another point worth noting is that the force monitor displayed in real time is PeakF Deflection vs. Z plot; not a PeakF vs. Separation.  When the horizontal axis is Z (not separation) the catilever compliance is not compensated for.  However the force monitor can still be used to get a better estimation of indentation depth for soft samples like PDMS-1 than you would get from the deformation channel and is much quicker than capturing raw data and analyzing off line.  If you use the force monitor you will probably over estimate the indentation by around 25-35%.  The next plot shows what the force monitor was displaying when the above force curves were captured. 

If you were using the "absolute" method to calibrate these would be important points because the indentation depth must be used for the "height from Apex 1" parameter in tip qual to estimate the tip radius.  If 3 nm was used (instead of 21 nm) as the height from the tip apex the tip radius would be under estimated and the modulus would be over estimated because modulus is proportional to cantilever spring constant over the square root of tip radius.

Since you are using the relative method I am assuming that you were simply following a generic procedure that reccommended 2 nm of "deformation" but didn't take the error in deformation into account with softer, adhesive samples.

The good news is that if you are engaged on PDMS-1 with a ScanAsyst Air probe you certainly will have more than 2 nm of indentation.  You don't need to be concerned with any adjustments to increase the setpoint unless there are tracking problems.  500pN setpoint usually works well with ScanAsyst Air probe on the PDMS samples from the sample kit.

You also had a few other concerns.

The problem with negative deformation probably means you do not have a good deflection sensitivity value.  Remember to calibrate deflection sensitivity on a clean, hard surface like sapphire.  Use ramp mode; not the "update sensitivity" button on the force monitor.  Do several calibrations and make sure the numbers agree closely and that they are not abnormally high for the type of probe you are using.  If they are move to a different area of the sample and try again.  Deflections sensitivity is the most important step in the calibration.

For problems with the DMT Modulus data looking digitized or off scale you just need to adjust the DMT Modulus Limit.  This parameter can be found by clicking on the expanded parameter list icon (4 red puzzle pieces) and then locating the PeakForce Limits tab.  Lower the DMT Modulus Limit to around 100 MPa or so for PDMS - 1.  This parameter is optimizing the range and resolution of the digital converter for modulus data.

Finally, if you use the "absolute" calibration method you will need the "tip check" sample (titanium oxide) included in the PFQNM sample kit.

Hope that helps,

-Mike Maybrun

Veeco Applications

• | Post Points: 14
Top 150 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 74

Dear Mike,

Thank you very muc. With your help and the Engineer who helped me from Veeco I was able to understand the procedure and now I am doing the mechanical properties measurementes by myself whit the absolute method for calibration.

Sheila

• | Post Points: 11
Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
Points 125

Dear Mike Maybrun,

I know this question was posed very long ago but since I am also facing the same problem and the suggestions you have outlined above as so exactly what I needed for my problem; my request to you is if you can again repost the images in your answer since I tried to open them but they are giving an error. Actually my problem is at the point of tip radius calculation where I obtained the deformation from the soft PDMS sample force curve but the value was around 25 nm which when inserted in the "height from Apex 1"  field gives a very unrealistic value for the tip radius. I would really appreciate if you can assist me since the tip radius directly affects the value of the modulus I obtain. My email address is kassimali@sabanciuniv.edu.

Best Regards,

Mariam

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments