PFTUNA I-V curves - why is my Z piezo completely extended

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
8 Posts
Points 93
Jakub Holan posted on Wed, Aug 14 2013 9:17 AM

Hi!

I am doing some PFTUNA I-V curves on a hard sample using one of those (a bit expensive) DDESP tips. Every time I go into the Ramping screen, my Z piezo position marker goes into a completely extended position. First I didn't pay much notice, because I just thought that the Z marker doesn't provide any reading anymore (the voltage textfield is greyed out), also I think I would see some tip bend in the optical view. But after I noticed what I believe is a small indent on the surface, I am not so sure. Can you confirm that I am not blunting my tip with this?

Thanks a lot!

Jakub

Screenshot:

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
129 Posts
Points 1,429
Ang Li replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 7:50 PM

It seems the problem is you ramped IV but you triggered force, and you used absolute trigger. You may change them and check again. Another simple way to control your z piezo position is to set z start manually. 

Ang Li

• | Post Points: 12
Top 100 Contributor
8 Posts
Points 93

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I didn't state the problem very clearly. The real problem is that the Z piezo jumps into the extended position right after I click Ramp in the workflow panel. It does so regardless of what I set in the ramp settings and before the actual ramping even starts. I tried setting the trigger to Off or setting it to Absolute and the Data Type to TUNA Current ... that's actually the right setting according to the manual ... and it does the same thing every time.

So I tried testing it on another Icon and that one jumps to 0V instead of extended (see pic). The voltage field is still greyed out. It gets white (as in 'active') only when I change the Ramp Output to Z (which is understandable). So I think the real question is - what does the Z piezo do when it's just waiting for the ramping to start?

Jakub

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments