The Nanoscale World

Hysteresis in Force Curves of Hard Sample - Retract above approach

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
19 Posts
Points 215
Luis posted on Tue, Sep 10 2013 4:52 PM

Hi, I am trying to understand why I consistently see a hysteresis when I run a force curve on a hard sample (Si). The retract curve lies above the approach. The figure shows typical force curves runned with different tips. The values shown in the labels are the slopes of a linear fit to the contact part of the curves.

I have seen this effect in the NanoscopeSoftware 8.10 User Guide, though it looks much smaller:

I've read that this effect could be caused by the tilt angle of the lever (but it should be negligible for small probes), or it could be caused by hysteresis of the piezo.

I was wondering if anyone has this effect, what do you think its the cause and how can it be taken into account when calculating the deflection sensitivity

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 273
Janne replied on Wed, Sep 11 2013 3:01 AM

Hi!

If you have a system with a Z sensor (closed loop Z), you could set the X axis as Z sensor (or might be called Height Sensor) instead of Z or height. Probably the piezo is moving slightly non-linearly as the applied voltage changes.

Maybe you need to set one of the other ramp channels to the Z/Height Sensor before you can select that as X axis for the deflection channel.

I hope my explanation was clear, otherwise ask again :)

Best,

Janne

• | Post Points: 12
Top 50 Contributor
19 Posts
Points 215
Luis replied on Sun, Jan 26 2014 11:10 AM

Hi Jane, thanks for the answer!

Unfortunately, I am using a Dimension 3100 which does not have an independent mean to determine piezo displacement. After reading some papers that talk about non ideal piezo behavior and the importance of measuring piezo position [1-4], I believe that what I observe is what they call 'reverse path effect' .

I do not have a clear procedure to deal with this without being able to measure the actual piezo position. I would like to correct this effect so that I can obtain the deflection sensitivity in order to convert force curves to force distance curves. 

I appreciate any comment,

Luis

[1] Effect of PZT and PMN actuator hysteresis and creep on nanoindentation measurements using force microscopy

Hues, Steven M. and Draper, Charles F. and Lee, Kenneth P. and Colton, Richard J., Review of Scientific Instruments, 65, 1561-1565 (1994), DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.1144892

[2] Force-Distance Curves by AFM

Cappella, B and Baschieri, P and Frediani, C and  Miccoli, P and Ascoli, C, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, 16, 2 (1997), http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=582177

[3] Dynamic Surface Force Measurement. 2. Friction and the Atomic Force Microscope

Phil AttardArchie Carambassis and, and Mark W. Rutland, Langmuir 1999 15 (2), 553-563

[4] Nanoscale measurements for computing Young's modulus with atomic force microscope

Kaul, A. D. ; Gangwal, A. ; Wadhwa, S. S. CURRENT SCIENCE -BANGALORE-; 76, 12; 1561-1565 (1999)

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments