The Nanoscale World

Point and Shoot contact mode force curves from tapping mode

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 12
link_5212 posted on Tue, Jul 12 2011 3:25 PM

Hi,

I'm using a Veeco Dimension Icon with Nanoscope 8.10 software and a Nanoscope V controller.  I am trying to figure out a way to take a tapping mode image of my sample, then from that image use the point and shoot option to take contact mode force curves, instead of tapping mode force curves.  I am imaging arrays of nanorods and want to take a force curve off of (some of) them, with a tapping mode image before and after to see the deformation.  I can manually do this one at a time, but I was hoping for some automation in the process, as it is proving extremely tedious and time consuming.  Thanks for your help!

Sean

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
17 Posts
Points 143
Suggested by Adam Mednick

Hi Sean,

You can switch to do contact mode force curves after imaging in PeakForce Tapping, using Point & Shoot feature.  I do know that we have this feature in v8.15, but not sure about 8.10 (It was needed for PeakForce TUNA, so I know we have it...)  I'll check about 8.10, and if not, we should be able to get you a SW update.

As for automation... you should be able to capture many force curves in one go, on many spots that you indentify based on your image.  With Point & Shoot, you can first image using PeakForce Tapping, then identify multiple places where you want to capture force curves, then it will go and capture the individual force curves in contact mode... the system will movie between the spectroscopy locations you identifyied using PeakForce Tapping, so the tip doesn't drag between the points.  And finally, you should have a data set in the form of an *.mca file that links your image file with all of your spectroscopy data for offline analysis. 

Please send me a note with your contact info to me at adam.mednick@bruker-nano.com and I will help you do this. 

Adam

• | Post Points: 12
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 10
Martin replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 11:57 AM

Hello Adam,

I use the PeakForce Tapping mode frequently with a ScanAsyst-Air cantilever where I take images in tapping mode and use the Point&Shoot mode in order to make contact-mode force-curves which works fine. 

But now I want to do the exact same method but with a stiffer cantilever (about an order of magnitude higher in comparison to the ScanAsyst-cantilever which has about 0.4 N/m). Since the forces excerted on the sample in PeakForce mode would be too high with this stiffer cantilever: is there an experiment in the NanoScope 8.15 software that provides the possibility of switching between tapping mode and contact mode while using Point and Shoot? 

In the tapping-mode (standard-tapping) I already tried to set the drive amplitude to 0mV and perform Fz-curves but I'm not able to proceed with the experiment due to an error. 

Thanks in advance,

Martin

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments