The Nanoscale World

live XY drift correction?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36
Nick Hudak posted on Tue, Jun 15 2010 3:29 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE Is there a way to do XY drift correction live while the microscope is scanning?  I noticed the offline function for XY drift correction of two saved images, but I'm wondering if it's possible to calculate the XY drift of live scans and then apply a correction to subsequent scans.

-Nick

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36

I'm referring here to the Multimode V instrument with Nanoscope 7.30 software.

• | Post Points: 10
Answered (Not Verified) replied on Tue, Jun 15 2010 4:49 PM

Nick,

That feature exists only on NS-IV based systems. In the analysis section you can calculate the drift and apply the appropriate correction to the DSP to correct the live scans.

Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 319

As Stephan said, this feature was available on NSIV, and then "dissapeared" on NSV instruments. I don't know for sure why, but you might guess that it was because this turns out NOT to be very useful. The reason why it's not that useful is that it can only work if drift is constant, and does not change direction, accelerate or decelerate. This is pretty unlikely to be the case, since such X-Y drift is basically a result of thermal instability (normally). Therefore adding a constant drift correction very rarely will  fully overcome the drift you are experiencing. The best solution, typically, is to get rid of all drift, for example, by thermally stabilising the system and/or waiting. Scanning faster can also help.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments