The Nanoscale World

thin film with gold and dodecane

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 81
dave11420 posted on Tue, Nov 22 2011 7:54 PM

I'm trying to create a ~2-3 nm thick film with glycerol and gold nanoparticles(30 nm in dia.). The gold particles are in suspension in DI water.  I've tried a 5% solution (diluted glycerol) and the DI and gold using a dip coating process with withdraw speed (0.75 mm/min).

The film thickness is ~100-200 nm. Spin coating is even worse. Does anyone know of a better way to achieve a thin film? Also the gold tends to agglomerate in the mixture with glycerol.

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee
Verified by dave11420

Dave,

Can’t offer too much advice here. . .perhaps try to dilute your solution to lower than 5%, and/or additionally add surfactant to prevent the agglomeration.

Also, it may be difficult to get a 2-3nm film when your particles are 30nm.

Sorry not more help  and good luck,
Steve

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
288 Posts
Points 3,905
Bruker Employee
Verified by dave11420

Dave,

Can’t offer too much advice here. . .perhaps try to dilute your solution to lower than 5%, and/or additionally add surfactant to prevent the agglomeration.

Also, it may be difficult to get a 2-3nm film when your particles are 30nm.

Sorry not more help  and good luck,
Steve

• | Post Points: 13
replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:13 AM

Dave,

There might be something I missed in the sample prep or what you are aiming at but to me, glycerol has no affinity to gold. You migh have to go through an intermediate step with alcaneTHIOL-based molecules. SH will esaily bind to the gold and then the other hand should be -COOH ended. This part can easily react with the glycerol. If you need more details for this intermediate step, I think I can help. Just let me know!

Alex.

• | Post Points: 12
Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 81

Alex,

I would like to create a thin film on  silica with glycerol and Au particles. The Au comes suspended in water. Since glycerol is soluble in water, I mix the two, diluting the glycerol down to anywhere between 2-5%. I either try dip coating or spin coating, but there doesn't seem to be any particles on the substrate. The Au particles tend to agglomerate. I have also tried to mix in other solvents such as IPA, ethanol, methanol. 

The end goal is to have a thin film of glycerol ~2-3 nm with Au particles. I would like to know what the intermediate step that you mentioned is.

Dave

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments