The Nanoscale World

Autoprobe Questions

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 38
crimsonhen posted on Tue, Jan 4 2011 1:36 PM

First post! Big Smile

I have an Autoprobe AFM.

How do I switch from tapping mode to non-contact mode?

Why does the instrument act differently the longer I use it? Images in the morning appear decent. The images get noticeably more random as the day goes on.

I'm sure to be back with more questions.

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
59 Posts
Points 712
Bruker Employee

Hi Crimsonhen,

It is a question of working on the right side of the peak (for noncontact) vs the left side of the peak (for tapping).

To be more precise, in what is sometimes referred to as non-contact mode in ambient conditions, the drive frequency is set on the right side of the peak at a location where the amplitude has decreased by some fraction compared to the peak amplitude, typically a half width or a bit less from the top of the peak. The rationale being that a longer range attractive ("non-contact") interaction is present in addition to the shorter range repulse ("contact") force. The attractive interaction effectively lowers the resonance as if the spring constant was lowered. So then the expectation is that when entering the attractive regime, a stable feedback point is reached where the response on the high frequency side is lowered. In practice though, ambient conditions often lead to ill defined and varying shielding of long range forces, reducing the robustness of this approach irrespective of any instrumental factors. The result is often either loss of tracking (thus losing resolution) or a transition to hard tapping, that is, to a strong repulsive interaction, that may lead to premature tip damage. One of these may be happening if you are observing loss of resolution over time. This is why on our recently introduced new platforms, like the Innova that has replaced the Autoprobe, we tend to recommend the light tapping condition (and it is the default SW setting), where the resonance is set slightly to the left of the peak (typically at a position where the amplitude has dropped just 3-10%), which in most cases leads to more stable operation at minimal tip and sample wear.

Hope this explanation helps. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

Thomas

replied on Fri, Jan 7 2011 12:27 PM

To add to Thomas answer:

1. You want to use small amplitudes when attempting NC imaging.

2. You mention that images appear decent in the morning and look "random" later in the day. What exactly do you do in between starting the first image and the point at which images seem to change? Are you scanning the same image area? Did you change the tip? Did you re-tune/re-align the cantilever?

Stefan

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments