The Nanoscale World

C-AFM

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36
Ashish posted on Mon, Apr 18 2011 9:28 AM

I am using a Dimension 3100 AFM system to perform some conducting AFM scans on a sample with alternating strips of gold and SiO2. To apply a bias on the tip can I use the standard probe holder or would I need to use a EFM probe holder? Can you point me to any useful manuals that talk about the hardware & software setup to take EFM images.

Thanks,

Ashish 

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Answered (Not Verified) replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 2:32 PM

Hi Ashish,

In conductive AFM/TUNA the bias voltage is applied ot the sample. The tip is pulled to (virtual) ground by the transimpedence amp acting as the I/V converter. If you contact bruker AFM tech support they can mail you the manuals for the 3100.

Best,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 13
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36
Ashish replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 3:38 PM

On the interleave options, I see an option to apply a bias voltage on tip through analog 2. Are you saying this will not work?

Thanks for the reply,

Ashish

replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 3:51 PM

Probably not.

Stefan

• | Post Points: 10
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36
Ashish replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 3:51 PM

I think I might have used the wrong term. I would like to put a bias on the tip and map the phase shift due to electric forces at a lift height ( EFM). Can I do this with a standart DI3100 system?

replied on Mon, Apr 18 2011 5:43 PM

Absolutely. You want to use LiftMode for the "EFM" scan.  If you have a NSV controller you may also be interested in this applications note: http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/media/p/687.aspx

Stefan

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments