rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
99 Posts
Points 958
Bruker Employee
SeanHand posted on Tue, Mar 9 2010 8:13 PM

Hi PFTers -

I'm looking at using PFT for some PSS samples on Icon.  These features are tall and conical with Top SWA around 30 degrees, Mid SWA at around 45 degrees and bottom SWA around 55 degrees.   My (limited!) understanding of how PFT works, is there any issue using PFT on non flat samples?  I.e. if the surface normal vector is not coincident with and opposite to the downward force vector of the probe?  Would it make sense to calibrate my lever on these samples,  estimating the hardness of the sapphire and assume that any error gets wrapped up in the calibration?

-Sean

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
99 Posts
Points 958
Bruker Employee

Follow up ---

What about using a non conical (i.e. cylindrical) probe for this application in PFT?

• | Post Points: 12
Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 52
Bruker Employee

The limitation comes from the spring constants of the cylindrical probes which are usually much stiffer, limiting the precision of force control and the ability of the system to preserve the sharp apex. A sharp SNL  (0.2-0.4 N/m) can have a half angle as high as 80 degree in the apex portion. Judging form the angle of you sample, it may worth to try.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments