The Nanoscale World

why we calculate the elastic properties at the nanoscale?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Points 34
kalyan phani makkuva Posted: Thu, May 31 2012 12:27 AM

why we are calculating the precipitates elastic modulus of   a  ppt at the nanolevel does it have any effect on the bulk material. if it has does the nano scale properties differ at the nano level and bulk level so how can we compare the both.

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 129
Points 1,429
Ang Li replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 1:59 PM

for non-homogeneous, anisotropic and multi-components materials, bulk property is not enough if the application involves scale level vairations I guess. For some nanomaterials, you also have to go for nanolevel to get the properties, like carbon nanotube and nanoparticles.   

Ang Li

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Points 34

it is true but if we are testing the elastic constants of the nano precipitates in a bulk material with that can we decide or come to a conclusion of a elastic constant of a bulk materials? if the study if for carbon anno tube and other things its gud but then why we will be stsing for the bulk materials nano precipitates what is the use of it?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 9
Points 132

i would see why you want to measure concentration of precipitates but cannot see what info Elastic modulus gives in this case. Sorry, have no answer. 

Tejasvi Parupudi

Purdue

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Points 34

I found the answer. the elastic properties of the materials are governed by those of the individual phases or precipitates. So when we know the elastic properties of the phases / precipitates it will give us idea of many doemationn  mechanism and crack nucleation and crack propagation mechanics. this will later help to design materials with good lifespan and properties.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments