Engagement of Tip always fails in Conductive-AFM mode

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
58 Posts
Points 652
stsolong posted on Mon, Jun 25 2012 9:19 AM

Hi Friends,

I encounter a very weird problem that the engagement of tip fails.

Right now I use ´Conductive AFM (Dimension 3100)´. After I press the ´Engage´ icon, the status says´ Moving to slow engagement position´, and then ´Approaching the surface´. BUT it immediately finishes the engagement and goes to image mode. Actually, the tip doesn´t approach the surface at all!

In order to fix the problem, firstly, I switch the ´Microscope profile´ to Tapping mode or other modes, and then switch back to Conductive AFM mode. Then the engagement of tip starts to work again. Now, unfortunately, this method doesn´t work anymore. The engagement fails as usual. Sometimes I have to restart AFM. But every time after I withdraw the tip, change a position on the sample and try to engage again, it always fails.

I don´t understand this problem. Did anyone encounter this problem before?

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 116
Bruker Employee

Hello Friend

I have seen weird engagemant problems like this caused by corrupted profiles.   If you have a profile labeled "conductive AFM, " try ths little trick.   Click microscope-profile, and then highlight the profile with a single click.  Next click the button labled EDIT, and then the button labeled LOAD MASTER.  You will see a prompt warning you that changes made to profile CAFM will be deleted. Go ahead with the procedure, and see if things work a little better.  If not, try clicking the di logo in the upper left corner of the control screen and choosing microscope select from the menu.   Delete any equipment files you have in there and make a new one from scratch, by clicking button labled NEW.   Fill in all the fields for the types of equipment you have..  Next clik the scanner button and choose the appropriate scanner file. Lastly click the SERIAL button and make sure all the com port connections match the way they are physically connected.   If none of this works, I'd suggest contacting Bruker Tech Support for a new copy of Nanoscope software to install.

Good Luck

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 116
Bruker Employee

Hello Friend

I have seen weird engagemant problems like this caused by corrupted profiles.   If you have a profile labeled "conductive AFM, " try ths little trick.   Click microscope-profile, and then highlight the profile with a single click.  Next click the button labled EDIT, and then the button labeled LOAD MASTER.  You will see a prompt warning you that changes made to profile CAFM will be deleted. Go ahead with the procedure, and see if things work a little better.  If not, try clicking the di logo in the upper left corner of the control screen and choosing microscope select from the menu.   Delete any equipment files you have in there and make a new one from scratch, by clicking button labled NEW.   Fill in all the fields for the types of equipment you have..  Next clik the scanner button and choose the appropriate scanner file. Lastly click the SERIAL button and make sure all the com port connections match the way they are physically connected.   If none of this works, I'd suggest contacting Bruker Tech Support for a new copy of Nanoscope software to install.

Good Luck

• | Post Points: 13
Top 25 Contributor
58 Posts
Points 652

Thank you very much Pat ! The first method is working. Thanks  a lot for your help!

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments