The Nanoscale World

Regarding Thermal tune to determine Spring k of cantilever and other questions

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
Points 132
Tejasvi Parupudi posted on Mon, Jul 9 2012 4:53 PM

Q1. So I used the thermal tune on the Biocatalyst system. Is the procedure to determine spring constant the same on the Innova system also?

Q2. Is it possible to obtain a detailed internal circuit diagram of the Nanoscope V controller so I can work on making changes to obtain a signal from one lock in? (I know that lock-ins are not user accessible hence the question)

Q3. Can AFM tips which have a bigger tip diameter be used for imaging with sufficiently good resolution (I am talking in the range of 1-3 um dia for the tip) because I need to use the AFM tip for extracting an electrical signal and its range might be well suited for tips of the dia I mentioned  i.e. 1-3 um.  Is this even possible - making a customized tip and using it for imaging and other mode purposes.

Q4. Can we vibrate the AFM tip horizontally between 2 points in any mode using the BioCatalyst system- (I know there's this TR mode or torsion mode but don't know if available on Bio Catalyst system)? 

If possible can someone from Bruker email me the answers on sparupud@purdue.edu ?

Thank You in advance. 

Tejasvi Parupudi

Purdue

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652

Q1- The theory is the same as what is used on Innova, but the procedure is a little different. I'll send you some additional information by email.

Q2- The NanoScope V lockins are actually highly configurable, either using internal signal routing or routing through the NSV front panel. Check out the "generic lockin" panel.

Q3- Sure, probes with large attached particles are often used to obtain a well-defined indenter shape for force measurements on soft samples. Obviously a large spherical tip will affect imaging resolution though. In general, people use micromanipulators to attach glass or plastic microspheres to normal probes. Making a conductive probe with 1-3um tip diameter might be a little harder, mostly in getting a reliable conductive path through the particle.

Q4- No, TRmode is not supported on Catalyst. But there might be other workarounds, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. For instance, you might route a small oscillation onto the XY scanner via the generic lockin function.

Regards,

-Ben

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652

Q1- The theory is the same as what is used on Innova, but the procedure is a little different. I'll send you some additional information by email.

Q2- The NanoScope V lockins are actually highly configurable, either using internal signal routing or routing through the NSV front panel. Check out the "generic lockin" panel.

Q3- Sure, probes with large attached particles are often used to obtain a well-defined indenter shape for force measurements on soft samples. Obviously a large spherical tip will affect imaging resolution though. In general, people use micromanipulators to attach glass or plastic microspheres to normal probes. Making a conductive probe with 1-3um tip diameter might be a little harder, mostly in getting a reliable conductive path through the particle.

Q4- No, TRmode is not supported on Catalyst. But there might be other workarounds, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. For instance, you might route a small oscillation onto the XY scanner via the generic lockin function.

Regards,

-Ben

• | Post Points: 13
Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
Points 132

Thank you. I was able to do thermal tune successfully on the Innova also. 

Tejasvi Parupudi

Purdue

• | Post Points: 10
Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
Points 132

One new question. Is it possible to have Interleave mode for current measurement under liquids? Possible using the BioScope Catalyst?

Tejasvi Parupudi

Purdue

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
75 Posts
Points 3,652

Current measurements are not generally done under liquids with AFM. Normally the leakage current through the liquid is too large (i.e. larger than the current you're trying to measure). There are groups in the world working to develop insulated AFM probes where only the very apex is exposed that might enable these kinds of measurements.

You can use interleave on a Catalyst. However, I don't think you have a conductive AFM option on your Catalyst. As we've discussed offline, there are other possibilities for making conductive measurements in fluid. But these will all be development projects, not commercialized, ready-to-use  features.

Regards,

-Ben

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments