Top 25 Contributor
42 Posts
Points 485
Bruker Employee
David Durham posted on Tue, Jul 17 2012 4:48 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Hi,

I have been using the MESP tips you sent us. We are having a hard time interpreting our results with these tips.  I am trying to magnetize a single tip in different orientations and capture images with each orientation. But I generally get the same phase response regardless of how I magnetize the tip. I see the same behavior between MESP, MESP-LM, and MESP-LC.

I was wondering if you can answer some questions that might help us interpret our results.

1) Can you describe a possible application for the the LM probes? The probes give a weaker response because are low moment, but that seems like it would be a disadvantage in most cases.

2) Do you have any idea if there is a limit to how strong of a field these tips can handle/resolve? I really doubt we are reaching that limit, but if say if I imaged on a hard drive magnet, would that damage the tip (or scanner?)

3) Do the tips come packaged with any kind of known magnetization or is it completely random?

4) Can I magnetize the tips in any direction I like, or does the tip preferentially align in specific orientations?

5) Can I switch magnetization orientation once the probe has been aligned in a certain direction, or would I need a stronger magnet to over power the previous orientation?

Thanks a lot,

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
Points 99
Verified by David Durham

Hi Chad,

1  The low moment probes have a thinner magnetic coating and may allow slightly improved lateral resolution, although as you mentioned a somewhat weaker response.

2  Imaging on a hard disk magnet won't damage the tip, but depending on the coercivity of the tip it may realign the domains.  If the MFM data looks to be typically attractive (not repulsive) then this is probably happening.  Regarding the scanner, it will won't damage the scanner but it could have an effect on the scanner response if the field were strong enough.  Bruker does offer non-magnetic scanners and probe holders that are used for extremely sensitive samples as well as for use in high moment applications such as an external applied field.

3  My understanding of the magnetization is that they are indeed random.

4  You can magnetize the tips in different directions but it isn't clear to me how consistent or predictable the alignment is with the tip geometry and coating thickness uniformity.  The tips are aligned horizontally for use in TR-MFM mode.  This improves the response for torsional measurements and demonstrates that the magnetization is aligned differently.

5  You can switch the alignment of the probes using the Bruker supplied tip magnetizer.  In fact the MFM starter kit comes with an allen key that is used to rotate the magnet in the holder.  The magnet in the holder is on the order of 2000 Oe which is sufficient to realign the nominal 400 Oe probes.

Best,

Mark Hilton  

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
Points 99
Verified by David Durham

Hi Chad,

1  The low moment probes have a thinner magnetic coating and may allow slightly improved lateral resolution, although as you mentioned a somewhat weaker response.

2  Imaging on a hard disk magnet won't damage the tip, but depending on the coercivity of the tip it may realign the domains.  If the MFM data looks to be typically attractive (not repulsive) then this is probably happening.  Regarding the scanner, it will won't damage the scanner but it could have an effect on the scanner response if the field were strong enough.  Bruker does offer non-magnetic scanners and probe holders that are used for extremely sensitive samples as well as for use in high moment applications such as an external applied field.

3  My understanding of the magnetization is that they are indeed random.

4  You can magnetize the tips in different directions but it isn't clear to me how consistent or predictable the alignment is with the tip geometry and coating thickness uniformity.  The tips are aligned horizontally for use in TR-MFM mode.  This improves the response for torsional measurements and demonstrates that the magnetization is aligned differently.

5  You can switch the alignment of the probes using the Bruker supplied tip magnetizer.  In fact the MFM starter kit comes with an allen key that is used to rotate the magnet in the holder.  The magnet in the holder is on the order of 2000 Oe which is sufficient to realign the nominal 400 Oe probes.

Best,

Mark Hilton  

• | Post Points: 13
Top 25 Contributor
42 Posts
Points 485
Bruker Employee

Thank you Mark.

• | Post Points: 12
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 10

Thanks I found this information quite useful in my search earlier on.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments