The Nanoscale World

Tip cleaning

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 275
lgc posted on Fri, Aug 17 2012 7:40 PM

How risky is it to use canned air in order to clean a tip?

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 16

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
58 Posts
Points 652

I think this will damage the tip. The pressure is too large for the tip. Usually I use the rubber ball to blow the dust away. 

• | Post Points: 12
Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 275
lgc replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 1:42 PM

Thanks, stsolong. What rubber ball are you talking about?

Best regards.

replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 10:53 AM

Hi,

I doubt that using canned air will do anything to clean a tip. As pointed out too much pressure may break the cantilever. I would also be aware of the propellant in some canned air as it may contaminate the tip. You can get these rubber balls in good photographic stores as people usen them to gently blow dust off lenses or mirrors in their single lens reflex cameras. Contamination that you pick up from the surface sticks in my experience so well to a tip that the safest way is to use a new tip.

Best regards,

Stefan

Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 275
lgc replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 7:41 PM

Thank you, Stefan.

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
99 Posts
Points 958
Bruker Employee

Hi Igc -

Some folks have success in using an oxygen plasma clean on some probe types that are contaminated with organic materials such a photoresist (notoriously bad for probe contamination). In most cases the probe shape fidelity has been maintained and been able to be put back into use.

Best Regards,

Sean

Top 50 Contributor
23 Posts
Points 275
lgc replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 8:16 PM

Many thanks, SeanHand!

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Points 20

Hi,

I have a question about tip cleaning too and thought this might be a good place to ask it.

I'm working with CAFM and I wondered what the best technique is to clean a conductive tip before use to improve electrical contact? I currently mainly use SCM-PIC tips (Pt/Ir coated), and some solid Pt probes from Rocky Mountain Nanotech. Has anyone else found that tip cleaning before scans improves the repeatability of electrical measurements?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments