QNM expected precision and tip wear

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 48
jhurst posted on Fri, Jan 4 2013 3:40 PM

Hi,

I am new to QNM and am trying to measure the modulus of  films (100's of nm thick on Si substrate) in the 5-10GPa range. 

(1) What kind of precision is expected for measurements calibrated to a reference and what procedure is recommend for comparing multiple samples?  I have been using the TAP525A tip, and noticed I am either getting tip contamination and/or wear.  I am leaning towards contamination from SEM inspection.

My procedure has been: calibrate sensitivity, thermal tune,

measure beginning RS-15m (for tip monitor),

measure ref (QNM cal PS film), measure sample #1, measure sample #2

measure ref (QNM cal PS film), measure sample #3, measure sample #4, and so on

measure final ref (QNM cal PS film)

measure final RS-15m (for tip monitor).

On one day the tip radius didn't change throughout the measurements and the PS-film was +- 0.1 GPA.  The other day I wasn't so lucky.

(2) I just discovered the Indentation Analysis feature.  Can I use this function instead of QNM (just collecting several force curves) to minimize tip wear/contamination?  Also, for the analysis, I don't know what radius to use (at height of max indentation or extracted tip radius or just to match reference?).

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Jeff

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 5:07 AM

Dear Jeff,

I spend most of my time working on biological samples with QNM but I also have experience with QNM on much stiffer samples (up to 100 GPa). I noticed that whatever the sample, the tips often get contaminated and/or dulled after even just one scan. Of course this severely impacts on the measured Young's modulus.

If you start from a tip having a large tip radius (more than 20 nm), the risk of seeing the tip radius get increased after one scan is much lower than when starting from a very sharp probe (2, 5 or 10 nm).

So the ony trick I found so far is to work with larger probes (when I work on live cells, I even use to wear the tip on purpose on a stiff surface, prior to the experiment).

Now in reagards of the debris and comtaminants, you can use a perfusion systems to drag  most of the contaminants away while imaging.

Good luck,

Alex.

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 48
jhurst replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 8:10 AM

Thanks for the advice.  I had more time to analyze our tips (TAP525A) comparing before and after measurements.  I am significantly wearing the tips (radius 8nm->~100nm) and also building up sample debris.  I do have DDESP (DLC coated) tips that are less sharp to also try but am not sure if they are suitable for my sample hardness.  Any suggestion on other tips for 5-10GPa range.  I may try your suggestion of pre-wearing a tip (TAP525A).

replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 5:46 AM

Wow... 100nm; that's a lot!

For 5-10 Gpa, the TAP525 are really the best. The RTESPA are slightly too soft and the DNISP slightly too stiff.

Best,

Alex.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments