The Nanoscale World

point and shoot marked list file format

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 38
dywongnj20 posted on Thu, Jan 10 2013 6:31 PM

I have a question about the point and shoot function. I selected several points with 3 ramps at each point, then I saved the marked list as "marked list" but did not select any particular file extension. After I pressed the "ramp" button,  the program began collecting 3 ramps at each point, highlighting the points as it went. When it was done, I wasn't sure where to find the data, the "marked list" file that I had saved ends with a .psm and it won't open with the nanoscope software. Is there something I did wrong?
I can't find any detailed information about this in the manual.
thanks.

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 397
Bruker Employee

You should select the 'ramp and capture' option. Just 'ramp' only signals the AFM to perform the force measurements - it does not save the resulting force curves. With 'ramp and capture' the force curves will be saved in a folder with a file extension 'mca' (multi-curve analysis). If you open this folder in Nanoscope or Nanoscope Analysis you will see your individual force curve files, the image file of your sample, as well as a file showing the location of your force curves on your image and all the force curves plotted together on one graph. By selecting a curve in this graph, it's location will be highlighted on the image - and visa versa.

• | Post Points: 10
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 38

Thanks for the reply, but the "ramp and capture" button was not highlighted, I could not press it. Is there something else that needs to be done for that function to be available?

Top 10 Contributor
72 Posts
Points 817

Dear community,

I had to face the same problem. Is there any solution?

Dietmar Haba

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 397
Bruker Employee
Suggested by Bede Pittenger

When you open the Point & Shoot window the system should automatically switch from 'Image' to 'Ramp' mode. The ramp and capture button is greyed out when the system is in 'Image' mode. You should be able to verify which mode the system is in by looking at the radial buttons at the top of the Point & Shoot window. Select the radial button indicating 'Ramp' mode. Once the system enters Ramp -  the 'Ramp and Capture' button should become enabled.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Andrea 

Top 10 Contributor
72 Posts
Points 817
Suggested by Polis Tyrol

Thanks for your advice!

I found now that you must simply click that the machine should take the next image and then wait until the image is complete. At that point the "Ramp and Capture" button gets active. Makes sense of course.

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 12

While using point-and-shoot I recorded ramp curves by using the continuous capture mode,  and then later saved the corresponding afm image and marked point list seperately.  I notice that the file is .psm file is text only so i can find out the location of the points. Is there a way to combine the ramp curves, psm file and afm image using Nanoscope analysis software make sense of the data again?

Top 10 Contributor
72 Posts
Points 817

Actually, point-and-shoot should create a folder containing all the ramp curves, the image and a MCA-file (at least it does in my case). This MCA-file combines the image with the ramp curves very nicely then. If you use point-&-shoot correctly, you should get such MCA-file.

Best regards, Dietmar

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments