The Nanoscale World

Current signal exists in main path even under interleave mode??

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
58 Posts
Points 652
stsolong posted on Tue, Mar 19 2013 11:09 AM

Hello Friends,

I have an unusual phenomenon while using conductive AFM (Dimension 3100) with interleave mode.

In the main scan path, only the topographic information was collected in contact mode without bias. In the second scan path (interleave mode), the tip repeated the topographic route collected from the main scan path, but with a bias applied to the sample(the sample was electrically connected to the sample chuck), in order to the collect the current signal.

In the beginning, I realized the topographic image was disturbed by the corresponding current signal even under interleave mode! Therefore, I used an additional channel to record the current signal in the main scan path (the other 2 channels are ´Height´ of main path, and ´Current´ of interleave path). Theoretically, there should have no current signal in the main scan path because the bias is only applied in the interleave path. However, the result shows the current signal also exists in the main path (but with much less scale).

I will post the picture tomorrow. Hope any expert here can help me.

Thank you very much!

Solong

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
58 Posts
Points 652

Topographic Image

Corresponding current image in Main Scan Path

Corresponding current image in Interleave Scan Path

And this is the screenshot of the measurement parameters

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
55 Posts
Points 831
Bruker Employee

Solong,

Although you set sample bias to 0 mV on the main scan, there may be some offset on the sample bias line which can be up to 20 mV, this is sufficient to get the current flowing.

You can measure the voltage on the sample chuck versus a ground, for instance, the dove-tail where the AFM head is mounted, to see exactly how much offset is present. You can apply a bias to negate this offset.

Best

Chunzeng

Top 25 Contributor
58 Posts
Points 652

Hello Chunzeng,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I have checked the offset of the sample chuck versus a ground Vs-g =5mV; the offset of the sample chuck versus the dove-tail Vs-d =2mV. Therefore, I don´t think these offsets are able to cause a noticeable current signal in the main scan path.

I am thinking about the work function difference between the tip and the sample.  I use SCM-PIT tip, which is coating with Pt (work function = 5.63 eV)and Ir. The conductive part of my sample is Ag(work function = 4.26 eV).  What do you think the work function difference of 1.4 eV between Pt and Ag is attributed to the current signal in the main scan path?

Thanks again!

Best,

Solong

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments