The Nanoscale World

Peak Force Capture force curves

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 46
MPadgen posted on Fri, Oct 18 2013 9:58 AM

I am using PF-QNM (on a Bioscope Catalyst) to measure the elasticity of cancer cells. I have tried to use the Peak Force Capture to extract the force curves for offline analysis, but the curves look like the image below. The extend curve in this file seems to have both the approach and withdrawal from the surface. I have previously had success extracting force curves using HSDC, but wanted to try to extract the force curves for the whole scan.

I have had trouble processing these curves in the Nanoscope analysis - it fits the very tail end of the blue curve (on the right). Is there an easy way to get these curves into a format that can be batch processed? Or is there some reason the force curve looks like this?

Thanks,

Mike

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
72 Posts
Points 817

Dear Mike,

I had a very similar problem (http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/t/1498.aspx). At the beginning I had the feeling that automatized gains improved the outcome, but later I found that there are situations where it doesn't help you out. Seems to be an unsolved problem.

Dietmar

• | Post Points: 10
Top 50 Contributor
21 Posts
Points 247
Suggested by Polis Tyrol

Hi Mike,

There is a new feature in Nanoscope V1.5 called "Sync Distance New".

This is accessed using the "Show all" option on the scanning parameters, and allows the peakforce triggering position to be set manually. This should help if you have any issues with your force curves looking like this in realtime, when an "AutoConfig" operation does not help. I presume this would also fix the curves captured by PFC.

This might also help with your issue too Dietmar.

Cheers,

Ash

• | Post Points: 15
Top 10 Contributor
72 Posts
Points 817

Dear Ash,

Thanks a lot. Sounds promising. However, it happened to me that the live force curves looked fine, but the HSDC- of PFC-curves didn't. I think this might not help to overcome this problem?!

Dietmar

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 46
MPadgen replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 10:40 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I was using Nanoscope v1.4 previously, and am installing v1.5 right now. I will check to see if this new feature solves my issues.

Thanks,

Mike

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 46

It seems like v1.5 was all I needed - it handles to Peak Force Capture files very well. Quite an upgrade!

Thanks for your help!

Mike

• | Post Points: 12
Top 200 Contributor
5 Posts
Points 55

May I ask, where does one obtain v1.5? I have exactly the problem you described.

• | Post Points: 12
Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 46

You can download it from here: ftp://sboftp.bruker-nano.com/outgoing/GPTech/Software/NanoScope_Analysis/

It took a while for me to find - there was a link in the comments on the page with instructions to download v1.4.  

Hope this helps!

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments