Nano Indentation- Creep Test Set up

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 68
Pooyan Kabir posted on Wed, Feb 12 2014 9:42 PM

Dear All,

I am using the Icon AFM and I wanted to do a creep test(constant force) at a specified place and point. I did a little scripting for this test. The result dose not make that much sense to me. I am uploading the image here to know your discussions and ideas about this.

The second graph shows the height sensor versus time and it shows the penetration depth and it means displacement to me. On the other hand the deflection error versus time in the firs graph is decreasing which shows the force ( to best of my knowledge). I am wondering if there is any file that describes the testing protocol clearly and with discussion. The image first gathered with PFQNM and then I did the indentation test.

I also have another question; Do we have to calibrate the tip for backing out the material properties in this case( I did the deflection sens.) I am wondering if we have to exactly characterize the tip or not. Also the material used in this study is a viscous material ( not elastic).

I would really appreciate your inputs and ideas.

Thanks

Pooyan

• | Post Points: 14

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
19 Posts
Points 215
Answered (Verified) Luis replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 9:08 AM
Verified by Pooyan Kabir

Hi Pooyan,

I am also interested in Creep Tests, though I am using a D3100 and have not succesfully accomplish them yet. Still, I've read a post that may help:

1) The height sensor is not the penetration depth, it is the position of the piezoelectric. The penetration depth is basically  calculated from the difference between piezo displacement and cantilever deflection. They have explained this in a previous post: http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/p/399/648.aspx#648

2) I also understand that the deflection error is proportional to the force

3) They have discussed some protocols for creep tests in the same post cited above. Unfortunately the images can not be seen.

Regards,

Luis

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 68

• | Post Points: 10
Top 200 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 68

Top 200 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 68

Top 50 Contributor
19 Posts
Points 215
Answered (Verified) Luis replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 9:08 AM
Verified by Pooyan Kabir

Hi Pooyan,

I am also interested in Creep Tests, though I am using a D3100 and have not succesfully accomplish them yet. Still, I've read a post that may help:

1) The height sensor is not the penetration depth, it is the position of the piezoelectric. The penetration depth is basically  calculated from the difference between piezo displacement and cantilever deflection. They have explained this in a previous post: http://nanoscaleworld.bruker-axs.com/nanoscaleworld/forums/p/399/648.aspx#648

2) I also understand that the deflection error is proportional to the force

3) They have discussed some protocols for creep tests in the same post cited above. Unfortunately the images can not be seen.

Regards,

Luis

• | Post Points: 13
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 10

The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of gps jamming device, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone Jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.

Top 200 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 68

Hi Luis,

I started to read more fundamental AFM papers and also looked at the link you provided. It seems that the creep works in our device ( i tried with a soft cantilever) and I am going to run it by a stiffer cantilever and then I will see if it works in the process that I want. I can send images of the experiment that we are doing if it helps you. I have written a protocol for testing but it is not clear and I am working on it so some other folks can work with it. I can send it to you as soon as it gets ready.

Again thanks for your response and considerations.

Regards,

Pooyan

• | Post Points: 14
Top 10 Contributor
129 Posts
Points 1,429
Ang Li replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 4:31 AM

Hi, to your last question, if you need accurate force during your creep test, you do need to calibrate the cantilever spring constant and deflection sensitivity that will convert the deflection error in your image to the actual force.  

• | Post Points: 12
Top 200 Contributor
6 Posts
Points 68

Dear All, 

I am experiencing a weird behavior while I am trying to run the script for nano indentation test. First let me describe the test and procedure. I am running the surface mechanical investigation by PFQNM and then by having the topography image and adhesion image I pick some points with point and shoot and save their location for future reference . Then without changing the tip I change the mode to Contact mode and start the imaging and start to do the indentation test. The image below shows the force and deflection during the test. It suppose to be 2 seconds of loading and 5 seconds of unloading and then unloading phase.

The were a calibration going on our device last week and I am not sure the problem is related to calibration or something different.

I had done the test last month and it was working fine.

I did the force calibration (deflection sensitivity and spring constant). I would appreciate any comment or input.

Thanks for your time .

Bests,

Top 50 Contributor
19 Posts
Points 215
Luis replied on Fri, Sep 26 2014 10:30 AM

Hi Pooyan, I'm starting some creep test again, if you could send me some images of the experiments you did, or the protocol you wrote I would appreciate it, I think they will help me. My email is aragon_l@hotmail.com

regards,

Luis

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments