The Nanoscale World

What is the smallest spot size of the laser on Dimension FastScan Bio?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
Points 105
Krishnashish Bose posted on Mon, Jan 26 2015 8:02 PM

Is it a RF diode laser? How about its interference noise?

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
62 Posts
Points 660

I'm checking this for you. Please follow up by sending email to afm.support@bruker.com

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
62 Posts
Points 660

Hi Krishnashish,

See note here "the aperture diameter for the small spot size is 0.118” +0.002”/-0.000. Laser power is set to 1.15mW and the laser is focused manually to achieve maximum roundness with minimal shadow"

Thanks,

Teddy

• | Post Points: 12
Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
Points 105

Thanks Teddy for your answer.

I asked for the smallest spot size (in um) of the laser on the cantilever, not the focussing aperture.

• | Post Points: 12
Top 10 Contributor
62 Posts
Points 660

More notes from engineer.

We have not measured that, but the customer might be able to get a rough estimate by using the dimensions of the FASTSCAN-A probe listed on the box and comparing the spot size to the probe size. The spot size will also vary for each system since the spot is manually focused, so there’s not one typical spot size for all systems.”

You can also focus on the edge surface of a sample grid.

Then go to setup and move the tip away from the laser so that the laser hits directly on the sample.

Go back to navigate and compare the spot to the grid to get the measurement.

Note: the surface focus and tip focus are on the same focal plane, so this should give you the most accurate measurement.”

My personal note: the laser spot you can see is due to the light scattering on the surface. This can be only used as a rough estimation of the beam size.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments