How to use the MLCT probes?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 14
DuckNamedFrank posted on Tue, Apr 14 2015 2:56 PM

Hi all,

I'm wondering if we have to break the cantilevers on one side in order to use the other side? I can't see a way of inserting the probe into the chip carrier without breaking the cantilevers from the side that's being inserted.

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 14

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee
Verified by David Durham

Hi DuckNamedFrank,

This depends a little bit on the type, cantilever holder type, and even age of your AFM - on some holders you may actually be able to put in the probe and the back facing cantilevers wont make contact with the backside of the pocket - especially if you seat it forward a little bit. Most of the time though the rear facing levers will make contact with the back of the pocket and break off. If this is the case I would remove the cantilever with tweezers before putting in the holder as otherwise the debris and broken cantilevers could end up moving around and interfering with the cantilever you are trying to use (especially in liquid). Personally if I am using one of the B-F cantilevers I use tweezers and knock off all the cantilevers I am not using. They can interfere with experiments to more or lesser extent depending on the exact experiment. Plus if you leave all the cantilevers on, remember they are still "active" - they may not be the cantilever being used for feedback but they are still deflecting or vibrating and causing fluid flow, possibly being dragged across the surface and getting contaminated etc... so they will not be pristine if you want to reuse them in a later subsequent experiment anyway...

Ian

• | Post Points: 11

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
62 Posts
Points 660

Hi,

Please let me forward your question to our Probe department.

May I have your email address? 

Thanks,

Teddy

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee
Verified by David Durham

Hi DuckNamedFrank,

This depends a little bit on the type, cantilever holder type, and even age of your AFM - on some holders you may actually be able to put in the probe and the back facing cantilevers wont make contact with the backside of the pocket - especially if you seat it forward a little bit. Most of the time though the rear facing levers will make contact with the back of the pocket and break off. If this is the case I would remove the cantilever with tweezers before putting in the holder as otherwise the debris and broken cantilevers could end up moving around and interfering with the cantilever you are trying to use (especially in liquid). Personally if I am using one of the B-F cantilevers I use tweezers and knock off all the cantilevers I am not using. They can interfere with experiments to more or lesser extent depending on the exact experiment. Plus if you leave all the cantilevers on, remember they are still "active" - they may not be the cantilever being used for feedback but they are still deflecting or vibrating and causing fluid flow, possibly being dragged across the surface and getting contaminated etc... so they will not be pristine if you want to reuse them in a later subsequent experiment anyway...

Ian

• | Post Points: 11
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments