The Nanoscale World

Proper storage, handling, and cleaning techniques for standards

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36
Char135 posted on Mon, May 18 2015 9:11 AM

I'm new to AFM, and still follow written instructions from previous researchers in order to complete any necessary calibrations prior to imaging. (Multimode 8, PFQNM). Per my instructions, I'm not to use the sapphire sample to calibrate deflection sensitivity, because it's contaminated, and should use the fused silica sample instead. Our fused silica sample also seems to be contaminated, as it is near impossible to find a smooth area to ramp. I've looked into using the sapphire sample, but both samples are, for lack of a better word, disgusting (large micrometer sized structures and other general muck). 

Are there established cleaning methodologies for either sapphire or fused silica that wont damage the sample? 

How should these samples be stored? Currently they are held in a dessicator, but not under vacuum. I would hate to clean a sample and then it just become contaminated again.

Thanks for the help!

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee

Hi Char135,

If you have access to a snow jet (CO2 cleaner) this is a great and convenient way of cleaning samples. It removes large and small particles and even films and residues on the surface by various mechanisms (momentum transfer from the "snow", freeze fracturing etc... you can Google it and read up).

Plasma treating these surfaces could also work well (internally we prefer the snow jet over the plasma cleaner).

Washing and scrubbing with soaps, detergents and other cleaning solvents as well as alcohol and acetone etc... followed by drying needs to go through chemical compatibility checks with the particular sample as well as the glue holding it to the metal stub. We typically do not clean these samples this way.

Best regards

Ian

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee

Hi Char135,

If you have access to a snow jet (CO2 cleaner) this is a great and convenient way of cleaning samples. It removes large and small particles and even films and residues on the surface by various mechanisms (momentum transfer from the "snow", freeze fracturing etc... you can Google it and read up).

Plasma treating these surfaces could also work well (internally we prefer the snow jet over the plasma cleaner).

Washing and scrubbing with soaps, detergents and other cleaning solvents as well as alcohol and acetone etc... followed by drying needs to go through chemical compatibility checks with the particular sample as well as the glue holding it to the metal stub. We typically do not clean these samples this way.

Best regards

Ian

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 36

Thanks for the response!

Okay, I will look into the CO2 cleaning, looks like my best bet. Will keeping the samples in a dessicator be adequate storage?

Top 25 Contributor
37 Posts
Points 422
Bruker Employee

Yes, a desiccator cabinet is a good storage option for these samples to try to keep water dissolved impurities in the environment building up on the surface over time.

Best regards

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments