The Nanoscale World

high indentation on sapphire sample

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 77
Mark posted on Mon, Aug 3 2015 4:05 PM

Hello all,

Recently, when I am trying to go through the calibration steps for pfqnm I am getting a rather high (2-3nm) indentation on the sapphire sample when calibrating the DDS3 amplitude (RTESP tip).  As the sapphire should not deform at all I am not sure what possible causes are

I've managed to get the deformation down to +-500pm by manually adjusting the DDS3 amplitude (pft  dlection is then still within 10% of ramp deflection), but I am not sure if I am 'allowed' to do that while calibrating. A problem I run into after this is that I can not get a deformation higher than 1-2nm on the PS..

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Mark 

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 77
Mark replied on Mon, Aug 3 2015 4:06 PM

correction, I mean deformation instead of indentation. I have not looked at force separation curves.

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
26 Posts
Points 298
Bruker Employee
Suggested by Peter De Wolf

Hi Mark,

The force spectra on a saphire sample, with RTESP tip shoudl not show any deformation (or a tiny one). Deformation will be 'measured' if there is a hysteresis in your force spectrum. Is it possible that osmething else causes the hysteresis? Maybe the tip (or sample0 is a bit contaminated, and the contamination laye ris being deformed?Itm might be helpful to see the actual force spectra which are used to extract the deformation you describe.

Regards,

Peter

• | Post Points: 12
Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 77
Mark replied on Thu, Aug 6 2015 3:30 AM

Hey Peter,

Thanks for your reply. The only force curves I can find right now are in the ramp mode (trig threshold .2V). As you can see there is no hysteresis there, however the adhesion is quite high! (especially for the second one).

Like I said before, it is possible for me to drastically reduce the deformation by manually adjusting the DDS3 amplitude, but I don't know if that ruins the calibration procedure.

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 77
Mark replied on Thu, Aug 6 2015 3:34 AM

I do have two figures for the force curves on the PS, which also illustrate the invariance of the deformation to my peakforce setpoint (top figure is PFSP = 200nN, bottom PFSP = 1uN)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments