The Nanoscale World

Force-Volume Baseline Correct

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 47
Rhiannon Creasey posted on Thu, Sep 2 2010 8:03 PM

Hi Nanoscale World,

I have collected some force-volume images using a Multimode V SPM using the Nanoscope 9 software. Now I would like to offline analyse these using Nanoscope Analysis 1.2. I know that to baseline all the curves collected, I enable the 'center plot' feature, however this doesn't seem to update in the image.

Is there another feature that I have missed to correct the force-volume image? As my data has some drift, it is currently impossible to see adhesion events without a baseline correct for the image.

Thank you for your time,

Noni

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340

Hi Noni- Since the behavior you are describing might be software version dependant I would like to know exactly what version of NanoScope you are using.  There is no version 9.  Please go to the help menu and choose "about" from the real-time software and tell me the exact version (for example 8.1r1sr2).  The same goes for NanoScope Analysis.  Once I have that information I will reproduce the experiment here and be able to advise you. 

Sincelely, Mike Maybrun

• | Post Points: 12
Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 47

Hi Mike,

The data was collected using Nanoscope 8.10 (Build R1Sr1.62716), and the analysis on Nanoscope Analysis 1.2 (Build R1Sr1.62799). Sorry for the mistake before.

Thanks,
Noni

• | Post Points: 10
Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340
Suggested by Mike Maybrun

Noni, I found that if you select force curve to display with Center Plot set to enabled the force plots do not update (as you said).  If you are using the cross-hair to select single locations for force curves you would need to clear the selections and then re-mark them once center plot is enabled.  If you are selecting a range of force curves by drawing a box you can just slightly move the position of the box to get the display updated and centered.

If the center plot is enabled when you choose locations to plot the force curves they do center properly (they did here anyway).    Hopefully that's the only issue you are encountering.  Let me know if that doesn't resolve the problem.

Sincerely, Mike Maybrun

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 47

Hi Mike,

The problem I'm having is that the slice image is not updating. So the force plots are centring properly, however the slice image above the force plot is not updating.
Therefore, when I have selected two spots using the crosshairs, they are both centred correctly in the 'deflection vs separation' plot and look very similar, but in the slice image they are appearing as, for example, a dark brown spot and a yellow spot due to the baselint correct not being applied to the slice. I havea screenshot which should explain this more clearly at http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sMJ8bxhF7RBWmXBiYv8sZw?feat=directlink

I can send you one of the force-distance plots I am having trouble with in particular if this would help?

Thanks,

Noni

Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340

Hi Noni- The captured FV image should be corrected already when captured..  I think the difference you are seeing in the FV image is due to the position of the red curor (setting the z plane) is in a positoin that is not quite far enough to the left to represent the base line.  It looks like the slice is in the interaction area for both curves.  However, please do send me the raw data so I can have a look.  It's hard to tell from the screen capture.   My email is mmaybrun@veeco.com.  Thanks, Mike

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments