Question regarding AFM

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 1 Reply | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 12
Isaias posted on Mon, Nov 1 2010 5:47 PM

Dear All,

My name is Isaias Gallana, I work at Purdue University in the Civil Department.  I have been traying to contact Veeco/Bruker company in order to do some question about an AFM we have.  I talked with John Tedesco, who gave me this place to do my question.

The AFM available in this department is a Veeco di CP-II. We are interested in adapt to this equipment a device that allow us to do tensile tests, in order to get some mesure of the specimen (trought the AFM) while we do the tensile test. I can give you more information about the maximun load we need and other things, but at the begining I would like to know if some of you know the company have some tools for adapt to this AFM (Veeco di CP-II) that allow us to do what I described above, or which are the possibility to adapt a comercial device (tensile stage) to the AFM we have.

I appreciate any information you can give me, o person who may contact.

Regards,

Isaias Gallana

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
26 Posts
Points 298
Bruker Employee

Hi Isaias,

There are several AFM users who perform their measurements on samples loaded in a tensile stress stage. As those stages can take up some space, and also add some weight - it is usually recommended to do these measurements on AFMs which have a 'scanning-tip' design (e.g. the Dimension series), rather than a 'scanning-sample' design. The extra weight can reduce the scanner performance on 'scanning-sample' AFM instruments. Your CP-II AFM has a 'scanning-sample' design, so the space & maximum weight is limited and you therefore need to find a tensile stress stage which fits within those limitation. Here are a few links to micro tensile stress stage providers:

§

This last one includes a tiny stage (15mm diameter) which surely fits on the CP-II AFM.

Best regards,

Peter

• | Post Points: 11
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments