The Nanoscale World

Avoiding retrace sweep in IV-Innova AFM

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 86
basav1231 posted on Tue, May 10 2011 7:00 AM

We are working on current mapping and IV curves using C-AFM (Innova AFM). While doing IVs, trace (forward) and retrace (backward) comes in the given voltage range. We want to do only trace (forward) and altogether avoid doing retrace sweep in IV curves as well as in current mapping. I couldn’t get the option of unchucking the retrace curves in IVs. Please provide a solution for the same.

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Answered (Verified) replied on Mon, May 16 2011 12:11 AM
Verified by basav1231

Hi Basavaraja,

I am not sure why you cant do that. Under "Bias" there are options to ground either the forward or reverse trace. I am not sure what you actually try to achieve but you might find this one a better option:

I suggest to not apply a bias during the forward trace and use 'Lift Mode" for the retrace. If you set the lift height to 0nm the tip will follow the exact trace of the forward line back. Now, on the reverse trace you can i) enable the sample bias and ii) turn the feedback laser off by checking the "dark lift" option. by choosing dark lift your I/V scan will actually reflect the proper electrical characteristics of your sample without detecting carriers that are excited by the red feedback laser of the AFM.

Best,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 11

All Replies

Answered (Not Verified) replied on Tue, May 10 2011 12:11 PM

Hi basav1231,

as far as I am aware you can not disable the retrace in an IV curve experiment on Innova.

During imaging you should be able to do so by disabling the bias for the reverse (back) scan line.

Best,

Stefan

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts
Points 86

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your reply. We can't fully disable the reverse line in IV, only we can able to do by giving a very small retreat rate and manually stop the IV.

Thanks again,

Basavaraja

Answered (Verified) replied on Mon, May 16 2011 12:11 AM
Verified by basav1231

Hi Basavaraja,

I am not sure why you cant do that. Under "Bias" there are options to ground either the forward or reverse trace. I am not sure what you actually try to achieve but you might find this one a better option:

I suggest to not apply a bias during the forward trace and use 'Lift Mode" for the retrace. If you set the lift height to 0nm the tip will follow the exact trace of the forward line back. Now, on the reverse trace you can i) enable the sample bias and ii) turn the feedback laser off by checking the "dark lift" option. by choosing dark lift your I/V scan will actually reflect the proper electrical characteristics of your sample without detecting carriers that are excited by the red feedback laser of the AFM.

Best,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 11
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments