Nanoscope V BNC terminals.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
13 Posts
Points 152
umarkhan posted on Sun, May 29 2011 10:08 AM

hello,

I want to get the deflection and amplitude signals  from the Nanoscope V controller BNC terminals and need to find an appropriate data acquisition card for this purpose. If any one has done this can they please suggest me a suitable card?

Umar.

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Answered (Verified) replied on Tue, May 31 2011 12:44 PM
Verified by fritzkrainer

Hi Umar,

The NSV controller has BNCs in the front that allow you to get some signals, like deflection error out. It also has configurable input that allow you to read in external signals and display them in Nanoscope. Click on the red puzzle piece icon in Nanoscope software. Under Other you can configure the BNCs of your NSV controller.

If you need the ultimate in configurable signal access, there is a "signal access module" available as an option. Please contact your Bruker representative for more information including pricing.

Best,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Answered (Verified) replied on Tue, May 31 2011 12:44 PM
Verified by fritzkrainer

Hi Umar,

The NSV controller has BNCs in the front that allow you to get some signals, like deflection error out. It also has configurable input that allow you to read in external signals and display them in Nanoscope. Click on the red puzzle piece icon in Nanoscope software. Under Other you can configure the BNCs of your NSV controller.

If you need the ultimate in configurable signal access, there is a "signal access module" available as an option. Please contact your Bruker representative for more information including pricing.

Best,

Stefan

• | Post Points: 13
Top 75 Contributor
13 Posts
Points 152

hi,

Is there any way I can read the voltage signals being sent to the piezo actuator for x y and z movement? and if I select say Output 1 Data Type = Input and Data =  "Z sensor" will I get the z displacement of the piezo scanner?  I am planning to read the low frequency analog outputs 1 and 2 using a DAQ card.  I understand that I can read the amplitude of cantilever vibration, amplitude error in dynamic mode and the cantilever deflection by selecting "TM deflection" in contact mode. Can you please tell me if this is correct? Lastly what do the output data types "X scan" "Y scan" and "Z scan" mean?

Thankyou,

Umar Khan.

• | Post Points: 12
Top 25 Contributor
30 Posts
Points 340

Umar,

Your last question cocntains the answers to the first question.  X scan, Y scan, and Z scan are the low voltage piezo drive signals before they reach the high voltage amplifiers.  The BNC's on the front panel are +/- 10 V.  You will not see high voltage on those outputs.  The signal access module would give you access to high voltage if needed.  It seems likely that any data acquisition card would require low voltage inputs anyway.

Z sensor will give you scanner displacement as seen by the sensor.

TM Deflection will be the DC component of Deflection in Tapping Mode and is low-pass filtered.  You will not see TM Deflection as a data type in Contact Mode.  The signal is there but it is just called Deflection (or possibly Deflection Error).

Your question refers to TM deflection in Contact mode.  That makes the experiment somewhat unclear to me.  If you can expand on what mode you will operate in and any ways the experiment is different from a "standard" experiment it would be helpful.  For example part your post implies that you may be driving a cantilever at resonance in Contact Mode.

Top 75 Contributor
13 Posts
Points 152

hello,

Thanks for the information. My last post should have read “TM deflection in tapping mode”, sorry about the inconvenience caused.    

I just need to verify , if I set  Microscope Mode to tapping and then Output 1 Data Type = input  and Output 1 Data = Amplitude  , I should get the actual cantilever amplitude in tapping mode?  Additionally is there a possbility of reading these variables i.e, X Y Z scan, deflection and amplitude in Labview using Nanoscript in realtime?

Best regards,

Umar.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments