The Nanoscale World

Standard Sample with built in Work Function Difference

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 12
Daveostrowski posted on Wed, Jun 1 2011 10:27 AM

I'm working on KFM and measuring a known bias across interdigitated electrodes to test my measurement, but I'm interested also in a sample with built in work function differences. Does the SCMsample from Bruker work for this, and/or does anyone know of a different sample available with this criteria?

Again, key is to have patterned work function differences that can be resolved with KFM within a typical image size of ~ 30-70 microns?

Thanks

• | Post Points: 12

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
55 Posts
Points 831
Bruker Employee

Dave,

You can see surface potential variation arising from the different doping levels on the SCM sample (SRAM), but it is not an ideal sample to check/calibrate KPFM. The problem with semiconductor samples in general is that some surface states can inevitably appear in the bandgap which can mask the fermi-energy level of the semiconductor and dictate the KPFM result. For instance, in theory, you should observe nearly 1V difference between highly doped n-Si and highly doped p-Si, but usu. you can only see a difference of 200mv~300mV at maximum.

We do not have a patterned sample with materials of different work functions, except the EFM sample with Cr stripes on Si. If you could, you can deposit 100nm Aluminum on a Si wafer, then pattern with 10um wide stripes of Au (100nm thick) on top, so you end up having alternative Au and Al stripes, with a work function difference in the vicinity of 0.8V. You can also run KPFM separately on Au and Al (al foil for example) to see the difference.

Best

Chunzeng

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments