The Nanoscale World

How to quantify force volume data in nanoscope software?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
4 Posts
Points 50
Albert posted on Sat, Aug 6 2011 11:30 AM

Hi, All

I was a user of nanowizard II before and always got stiffness and adhesion channels together with topography out of force volume mapping. Recently I switch to use a MultiMode system but don't understand what force volume result means. Especially the unit of force volume channel is nm but shouldn't nN make more sense? Anyone can show me how to seperately get stiffness and adhesion maps out of force volume in nanoscope system? Any help is appreciated.

Albert

• | Post Points: 14

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
129 Posts
Points 1,429

Hi, Albert,

FV channel in nanoscope software does not directly seperate into different property channels as Nanowizard II does. Instead, it shows the raw deflection data (thus in nm unit) at particular fixed z positions for each pixel. To extract stiffness and adhesion maps out from FV channel, you will need to choose proper z positions within indentation or adhesion regions manually (for details you can refer to manual or help file of nanoscope software). A more reliable and robust way to quantify different properties if you have to stick to FV method is to export the force data and analyze individual force curves using your own algorism or a trustable third party software. If you have access to use peak force QNM, it will be much more easier and faster and higher resolution for your application than FV.

LA 

• | Post Points: 10
replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 5:49 AM

I strongly recommend Open Fovea, which I advertised in the following paper:

Atomic Force Microscopy Imaging of Living Cells

Alexandre Berquand,

Charles Roduit, Sandor Kasas, Andreas Holloschi, Leslie Ponce and Mathias Hafner

In Microscopy Today (ref. MTO18_6-00095)

Looking at figure 4 will give you a good idea how you can display the data points: grey scale for topography, color scale for Young's modulus and red arrows for specific unbinding events.

Alex.

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments