The Nanoscale World

About tip qualification from characterizer image

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
Points 148
Fenny posted on Wed, Jan 18 2012 3:03 AM

1.Do we need to ensure the number of peaks in ETD to be just 1 when estimating tip radius from this height? Actually, I found the tip radius estimated in the absolute method far below the nom value (at least 5 times smaller), after inputting the average deformation into the Height 1 from Apex field. 

2. By the way, I've tried both the image roughness value and bearing depth value as the average deformation, but neither of them gave a good result. 

Did anyone have similar problems?

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
129 Posts
Points 1,429
Ang Li replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:36 PM

Hi, Fenny,

You can send me your files and screen shot of your settings so that I can advise, you should have my email :)

For average deformation, just a rough estimation will work, you can just use section analysis to get an idea of mean deformation. For bearing depth analysis, you need to set bearing area to be 50% under area percent (beside input) to see average (median actually). Roughness should give you overall mean or mean of specified area. Let me know if you have further questions.

LA

• | Post Points: 10
Top 10 Contributor
129 Posts
Points 1,429
Answered (Not Verified) Ang Li replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 7:46 AM
Suggested by Bede Pittenger

Hi, Fenny,

After check your file, I found you have two issues with your problem. firstly, the image of RS looks very bad, since your tips have been used to do QNM on cells, I guess it pretty likely has been contaminated and you can't rely on such result for an accurate calibration. Secondly, you can't use this 'absolute method' to calibrate a soft probe for cell modulus measurement, you can't get same deformation on such hard calibration sample as on your cells. So you have to rely on 'relative method' to estimate your tip radius at same order of indentation depth. The soft material recommended for kPa level calibration is Agarose gel, for its preparation and characterization you can refer to this paper 'Probing mechanical properties of living cells by atomic force microscopy with blunted pyramidal cantilever tips' PHYSICAL REVIEW E 72, 021914 2005.

LA

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments