The Nanoscale World

Force Curve Modeling

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34
mgespinosa23 posted on Wed, Jan 18 2012 9:40 AM

I am trying to understand if and when models besides the Hertz model are appropriate for force curve analysis on cells.

It seems like the JKR and DMT models are used when adhesion is an issue.  My cells are in media, so the jump to contact forces I see are very small.  Are there examples of the use of JKR and DMT on biological samples?

Are there any other models that have been used that fit better with data acquired from cells?

Thanks!

Gabriela

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee
Verified by mgespinosa23

Hi Gabriela,

Sneddon's model is often used to fit data acquired from cells since the deformation depths on cells are often too deep for use with Hertz or JKR (unless you are using a bead for a tip).  This reference has a nice discussion of the various techniques and application to cells and tissue:

Lin, David C, and Ferenc Horkay. 2008. “Nanomechanics of polymer gels and biological tissues: A critical review of analytical approaches in the Hertzian regime and beyond.” Soft Matter 4 (4): 669. doi:10.1039/b714637j. http://xlink.rsc.org/?DOI=b714637j.

Hope that helps!

--Bede

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 6,221
Bruker Employee
Verified by mgespinosa23

Hi Gabriela,

Sneddon's model is often used to fit data acquired from cells since the deformation depths on cells are often too deep for use with Hertz or JKR (unless you are using a bead for a tip).  This reference has a nice discussion of the various techniques and application to cells and tissue:

Lin, David C, and Ferenc Horkay. 2008. “Nanomechanics of polymer gels and biological tissues: A critical review of analytical approaches in the Hertzian regime and beyond.” Soft Matter 4 (4): 669. doi:10.1039/b714637j. http://xlink.rsc.org/?DOI=b714637j.

Hope that helps!

--Bede

• | Post Points: 13
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34

Thanks for the reply, Bede!

I'm indenting my cells with both sharp "conical" tips (the ones on the MLCT probes) and beads, so I know I'll need more than just the Sneddon model.  I'll take a look at the reference.  Thanks again!

-Gabriela

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments