The Nanoscale World

Do we need a planefit before doing analysis?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
Points 148
Fenny posted on Mon, Jan 30 2012 8:53 PM

When analysing data of a specified portion of images, is a planefit necessary beforehand? I know it's typical to apply a second- or third-order Flatten or Plane fit to the image before using Roughness analysis if the image shows signs of second- or third-order distortion (e.g., bow due to large scans on large scanners), but I am not sure as the planefit would change the raw data say modulus values dramatically.

• | Post Points: 15

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
29 Posts
Points 341
Bruker Employee

Hi Fenny

Determining whether to apply a planefit really depends on your sample and what you are trying to measure.  You mention both roughness and modulus values in your question.  When you refer to Modulus, if you are referring to the DMT Modulus channel in PeakForce QNM, then you would not want to apply a planefit.  The "Z" value of the DMT Modulus channel is your modulus value, and a planefilt will remove a Z offset from the entire image and change your values.  Also, be aware that the Offline Planefit parameter in the Realtime menu needs to be set to None.  If it is set to Offset or Full, the system will perform a 0th or 1st order planefit to the image, respectively, before it saves the image. 

For roughness studies, you may want to apply either a Flatten, which works on a line-by-line basis, or a planefit, which works on the image as a whole.  I will generally try to use the 0th or 1st order corrections unless I either have bow due to a large scan (as you mentioned), or I want to remove sample curvature to measure the "micro-roughness".  In those cases I will use a 2nd or 3rd order correction.  For roughness studies, you generally will want to be consistent with any modification routines if comparing between samples. 

Also, for planefit, you can apply the fit using part of the image for reference by drawing a box or boxes on the image.  This can be useful if you are trying to remove tilt on a step or on substrate (mica, glass slide, ...). 

I hope this helps.

John

• | Post Points: 12
Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
Points 148
Fenny replied on Thu, Feb 2 2012 8:12 AM

Got it. Thanks, John

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments