Suitable frame grabber for upgrade

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34
yjlee posted on Thu, Apr 2 2015 10:03 AM

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade the computer system for our Dimension 3100 AFM with NS IIIA.

The old computer system was a Pentium II machine running Windows NT. I bought a Pentium 4 motherboard and was able to figure out everything except the frame grabber. The old system was using a Matrox Meteor PPB frame grabber which do not have a Windows XP driver (according to Matrox). Is there a suitable frame grabber that can be used with NS V5.3 or 6.13? Would meteor II frame grabber work with the NS software by simply installing Windows XP driver?

Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

Yong Lee

• | Post Points: 12

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 116
Bruker Employee
Verified by Pat McPhail

Hello Yong

It is unlikely that a standard Windows installation is going to work as a Nanoscope computer.  Every computer we sold had the hard disk imaged with a build designed specifically for use with the Nanoscope and the particular hardware we had chosen.  There have only been a dozen or so we ever sold.  For every configuration we got to work, we went through dozens that didn't.  We are only able to support systems that we actually supplied.   The D3100 has been out of service for many years now and we can no longer obtain service parts.  The last replacement computer we provided was sold in January 2014.  The best recommendation we can give you is to contact your regional sales representative to take advantage of the large trade-in value we can offer towards the purchase of a new system.  You can see more information at the link below.

https://www.bruker.com/fileadmin/user_upload/8-PDF-Docs/SurfaceAnalysis/AFM/LabReports/Dimensions_FastScan_Upgrade_flyer.pdf

Best Regards
Pat McPhail

• | Post Points: 13

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 116
Bruker Employee
Verified by Pat McPhail

Hello Yong

It is unlikely that a standard Windows installation is going to work as a Nanoscope computer.  Every computer we sold had the hard disk imaged with a build designed specifically for use with the Nanoscope and the particular hardware we had chosen.  There have only been a dozen or so we ever sold.  For every configuration we got to work, we went through dozens that didn't.  We are only able to support systems that we actually supplied.   The D3100 has been out of service for many years now and we can no longer obtain service parts.  The last replacement computer we provided was sold in January 2014.  The best recommendation we can give you is to contact your regional sales representative to take advantage of the large trade-in value we can offer towards the purchase of a new system.  You can see more information at the link below.

https://www.bruker.com/fileadmin/user_upload/8-PDF-Docs/SurfaceAnalysis/AFM/LabReports/Dimensions_FastScan_Upgrade_flyer.pdf

Best Regards
Pat McPhail

• | Post Points: 13
Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34
yjlee replied on Mon, Apr 13 2015 9:16 AM

I was able to upgrade the control computer to a Pentium 4 system.

However, after a couple of days of running the system with a upgraded computer, the DSP card was suddenly unrecognized. Previously, IRQ 11 was assigned to a NS** (I suppose it was the nanoscope controller or dsp) but Windows XP resource list shows no device using IRQ 11.

What could have been happened? Is my DSP card damaged? Any suggestion for solving this mistery would be appreciated.

Yong

Top 100 Contributor
10 Posts
Points 116
Bruker Employee

Hello Yong

Perhaps the CMOS battery is going bad.  That is necessary to save your CMOS settings.  Please go into the CMOS setup and re-assign IRQ II to Reserved.   If it reverts back to the default when you power down the computer, then the battery is most likely dead.

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Points 34
yjlee replied on Mon, Apr 13 2015 6:49 PM

Hello Pat,

IRQ 11 is remained assigned to legacy ISA in the BIOS.

It does not revert to the default or initial setting (whatever that setting may be). Just in case, I will try to swap out the old battery with a new one to see it solves the problem.

It is possible that certain part of the interfece or DSP board are likely to get damaged more often than others?

Regards,

Yong

• | Post Points: 10
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments