The Nanoscale World

Probe Apex Characterization and Qualification - New Thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 25
Points 295
Don Chernoff Posted: Tue, May 11 2010 1:33 PM

I'm trying to demonstrate the tip width of a "1-nm radius" tip by scanning isolated features (bumps or ridges).  Does anyone have a favorite specimen that has features 1 nm wide?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 99
Points 958
Bruker Employee
SeanHand replied on Wed, May 12 2010 9:23 PM

Good Evening Don -

I am not famililar with a sample with < 1nm feature sizes with which to accurately measure the tip width.  How far up the probe do you want to characterize it's shape?  You could probably get an inferred measurement from a calibrated linewith with low line edge roughness and linewidth variation by comparing the calibrated linewidth. 

The NanoCD calibration structure has a top corner edge radius < 5nm.  You could make some cylindrical assumptions about the top corner shape and deconvolve that quater cylinder from your measured top corner rounding.  The residual will be an approximation of your tip shape.

This will only get you a slice through your probe.  However,  you could play the same game with a probe.  You could scan the circular nitride cap at the end of a CDR130SiN probe.   You can think of this as a very flat disk at the end of a post.   The SiN probes also have <5nm edge radii, but in this case, as they are circular,  you could get an idea of the full shape of your probe.  Again though,  these would be just approximations.

Best Regards,

-Sean

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 5
Points 52
Bruker Employee

Another possibility is to image DNA and look at the width expansion. If you do have DNA width near 2 nm, your tip must be very close to 1 nm in radius.  In case you don't want to bother working with DNA you could look at HOPG step and see how sharp you can get to.

• | Post Points: 10
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1
Points 10

Hello Don,

Besides the DNA suggested, you might also try carbon nanotubes or buckyballs and look at the distortion of width vs. height to figure out the quality of your tip. I'd recommend the tubes since they would stick to the substrate better than buckyballs (which might contaminate your tip).

Peter Markiewicz.

P.S. What sort of tip do you have? Is it one with a CNT?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 30
Points 340

Don,

I have heard the "Nio Probe" sample is good for tip radius less than 10nm (where the "tip check" sample doesn't work so well).  Link is below...

viewPrd.asp?idproduct=166

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2011 Bruker Instruments